Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Passing on the torch

Bill and his boys will be surprised to hear that, Jim. Bill has
told me and others that he strongly hopes that his sons will not
become bonsai professionals, and he feels confident that they
will not. If you are looking for examples of sons who have, you
might look to Roy Nagatoshi who has very ably followed in his
father, Shigeru's, footsteps into the realm of professional
bonsaiist.
Alan Walker

Old 06-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Dad

Yes, Alan, and Roy is one bonsai man of whom we all can be proud.
Marty
Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM
dalecochoy

Alan,
my two boys ( 22 and 27) have , for years, helped carry huge trees,
wheelbarrowed and spread mulch and dirt and stones, , raked leaves, moved
big tropical trees in/out of basement for winter, and carried enough clay
boxes from the trunk to the basement that they have ZEROOOOOO interest in
it!!
All it would take to make it an "un-done deal" for sure would be to load up
the truck for a show, drive there, unload and setup, then ( 2 or 3
days later) tear down and load up again, drive home and then unload the
truck when home.
That'd pretty much settle it! :)
Dale

Bill and his boys will be surprised to hear that, Jim. Bill has
told me and others that he strongly hopes that his sons will not
become bonsai professionals, and he feels confident that they
will not. If you are looking for examples of sons who have, you
might look to Roy Nagatoshi who has very ably followed in his
father, Shigeru's, footsteps into the realm of professional
bonsaiist.
Alan Walker

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Craig Cowing

dalecochoy wrote:

Alan,
my two boys ( 22 and 27) have , for years, helped carry huge trees,
wheelbarrowed and spread mulch and dirt and stones, , raked leaves, moved
big tropical trees in/out of basement for winter, and carried enough clay
boxes from the trunk to the basement that they have ZEROOOOOO interest in
it!!
All it would take to make it an "un-done deal" for sure would be to load up
the truck for a show, drive there, unload and setup, then ( 2 or 3
days later) tear down and load up again, drive home and then unload the
truck when home.
That'd pretty much settle it! :)
Dale

The most that my 17 year old son has to do with bonsai is that he waters them when
I'm away (if he's going to be home) and he has helped me put them up for the winter
the last few years.

This winter Anita and I will be able to put them up for the winter together, so
that will make it easier. I doubt Jared will complain.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37
October 16, 11 AM--be there!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 AM
MartyWeiser

I guess I picked it up from my mother who was into rock and Japanese gardens
in central Ohio before it was fashionable (late 60s and 70s). I picked up
my love of woodworking from my father and helped him collect more large
rocks than I care to recall to fit into mom's garden. My boys (11 and 14)
have shown a little interest in both bonsai and rocketry (my other major
hobby).

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++