Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
April1201

Default Dwarf crabapple

I'd like to start work on a bonsai dwarf crabapple. Do any of you have an idea
of which variety to use? There was/is a place to buy pre-bonsai plants in
California. I remember reading about it a few years ago. Anyone know which
place I may be thinking about?
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Iris Cohen

I'd like to start work on a bonsai dwarf crabapple. Do any of you have an
idea of which variety to use?

Some of the specially bred dwarf crabapples may not be suitable for bonsai. I
tried 'Camelot.' What makes it a dwarf is very close internodes. However, the
leaves are huge. Also, you want to avoid a graft if possible.
I have a Malus 'Indian Summer,' grown on its own roots and purchased from
Bonsai West in Massachusetts.. It is disease resistant and has beautiful
lavender flowers.
I bought it in 1999. I had it in the ground for a year and a half. I had to
thread graft a branch. Last year it started looking good. This year it bloomed
but did not set fruit.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
April1201

It is indeed Evergreen Gardens that I remember. I looked on their website and
picked out malus sargentii. It has small leaves. Of course I couldn't stop
there and also have a list of about six other plants I'll be ordering this
week.

I only have one plant. A twelve year old madrona. I'm not sure of the type (I
used to know), but it has white flair type flowers in spring before the leaves
develope. I call it a miniature instead of bonsai because I haven't followed
many of the bonsai rules. It's about 18 inches tall, and quite nice and has
nice showy roots.

dwarf vs. ultra dwarf fruit trees Me Gardening 4 11-11-2008 08:42 PM
height of dwarf runner and dwarf French beans bajmoe United Kingdom 1 03-06-2008 10:59 PM
Dwarf Apple & Dwarf Avocada Tree Questions JorgNS Gardening 2 01-02-2005 04:52 AM
[IBC] Dwarf crabapple Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 06-07-2004 10:02 PM
[IBC] Osteomeles and Crabapple Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 16-06-2003 08:08 PM