Old 22-07-2004, 09:03 PM
plavery

Default Starting a garden

Hi. I'd really like to start a bonsai garden. I'm not a bad gardener
(perennials, grasses, vegetables, etc.) Can anyone point me in the
right direction to start or does anyone have any tips. By the way, I
live in Alberta, which can have fairly severe winters (-40).
Thanks
Pat
Old 22-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Dad

Default [IBC] Starting a garden

Do you mean a bonsai collection or a garden which has bonsai-styled trees
in the ground? In either case, I would recommend using trees which are
native to Alberta. Trees grown in the ground are much hardier than those
grown in pots or trays. This indicates that, if you want to work with
potted trees, you will need some way to protect them over the winter. The
same species, grown in the ground, will survive much more easily than the
potted ones. This is because trees in the ground develop a widespread root
system, ramifying deeply into the soil. In winter, if you dig dowm even a
few inches, you will find the soil several degrees warmer than the surface.
Marty
Hi. I'd really like to start a bonsai garden. I'm not a bad gardener
(perennials, grasses, vegetables, etc.) Can anyone point me in the
right direction to start or does anyone have any tips. By the way, I
live in Alberta, which can have fairly severe winters (-40).
Thanks
Pat

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-07-2004, 12:58 AM
washout03

Might want to try and run a search on "bonsai garden" here. I don't have
the link, but Ron Martin, Rene Voortwist, and im sure others have posted
pics of their gardens.
Tom

--
washout03
washout03's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...fo&userid=1768

Old 23-07-2004, 01:59 AM
Alan Walker

Pat: See if you can locate Edzard Teubert. He is a professional
garden designer who is very familiar with your climate, because
he lives there!
Alan Walker

Hi. I'd really like to start a bonsai garden. I'm not a bad
gardener
(perennials, grasses, vegetables, etc.) Can anyone point me in
the
right direction to start or does anyone have any tips. By the
way, I
live in Alberta, which can have fairly severe winters (-40).
Thanks
Pat

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Starting off a planted tank -- starting one (or maybe) two strikes down.... [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-11-2005 01:31 AM
[IBC] Starting a garden Dad Bonsai 5 23-07-2004 03:06 PM
Starting a garden plavery Bonsai 0 22-07-2004 08:56 PM
Starting new veggie garden superstar_etta Texas 6 13-11-2003 01:12 PM
starting a small garden Manning Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM