Old 28-10-2003, 03:32 PM
superstar_etta

Default Starting new veggie garden

I want to plant my first veggie garden on the side of my house and
would like some suggestions as to a good reference book or website to
give me a place to start (austin/zone specific). I have no experience
with planing outside but have been very sucessfull with houseplants.
I understand that I need to prepare the soil and think that now is the
time to begin to have it all ready for the beginning of next year. So
any direction would be very helpful including the best places to buy
materials. Thanks.
Old 31-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Gil

superstar_etta wrote:
I want to plant my first veggie garden on the side of my house and
would like some suggestions as to a good reference book or website to
give me a place to start (austin/zone specific). I have no experience
with planing outside but have been very sucessfull with houseplants.
I understand that I need to prepare the soil and think that now is the
time to begin to have it all ready for the beginning of next year. So
any direction would be very helpful including the best places to buy
materials. Thanks.

a good reference book

Check out "Texas Organic Vegetable Gardening" by J. Howard Garrett and
C. Malcolm Beckett. It's answered most of my questions.

As far as preparing soil, I personally tilled and added compost before
starting my garden. Others may recommend a raised bed. Either way,
veggies will require a good soil and regular feeding, much more than
houseplants or herbs.

Old 31-10-2003, 11:12 PM
God Bless Texas

"superstar_etta" wrote in message
om...
I want to plant my first veggie garden on the side of my house and
would like some suggestions as to a good reference book or website to
give me a place to start (austin/zone specific). I have no experience
with planing outside but have been very sucessfull with houseplants.
I understand that I need to prepare the soil and think that now is the
time to begin to have it all ready for the beginning of next year. So
any direction would be very helpful including the best places to buy
materials. Thanks.

1. Stay away from 'Dillo dirt for a veggie garden.
2. Make the decision early whether to go organic or not. Shop accordingly.
3. Full sun is mandatory. Not partial, dappled, or kind of shaded. Full.
4. (Don't tell anyone else this one) Howard Nursery is full of great plants
and advice, as well as being local and good people.