Old 20-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] IBC Site: Forum/Galleries

I've just posted something on the gallery about upcoming changes. I would
like feedback about it before I go much further.
http://internetbonsaiclub.org/galler...?p=14163#14163
The post on that link appears below:
****
Hello all,

As some of you know, I've been working on a new look for the IBC site. The
amount of content on our site has become pretty much unmanageable without a
proper CMS (Content Management System).

I have selected one, so don't pester me with "try XYZ because"... (for those
interested, I'm going with Mambo (http://www.mamboserver.com)

Part of the exciting thing with CMS' in general is that users can edit and
submit content more easily. For example, if you submited an article to go on
our site, you could do it directly on the site yourself, and later do some
edits. Same thing with profiles, book reviews, etc.

This causes some potential problems with this gallery, and that's where I
need your feedback

While it would be possible to integrate the forum engine we're using (phpBB)
in the new site, it would be tricky, at best. There are several technical
issues involved that made me reject this option in the end.

There are a couple options we can look at at this point:

1. Use a fully integrated forum system. This allows our users to use BOTH
the forum and the site with only one username and password for the whole
site.

2. Keep using phpBB as a "stand alone" part of the site. This means we need
to have two usernames and passwords, or resubmit the same information in
both places. Problem: if you change password in one place but not the other,
you end up with nightmares for the webmaster...

I would want to use Option 1. myself, for ease of maintenance, and
futureproofing. The major problem with that option is that I may not be able
to successfully translate our current posts into the new board system. I
have been told by several people that they've successfully done it, but it
involves some hoop jumping.

We could always lock this forum, and keep it as an archive, like we did with
the old agora forum (which is not visited anymore that i know of). This
would be the *easy* way for me.

I know many of you had a pretty steep learning curve when we moved to this
forum about a year ago. I understand that you may not want to learn a new
thing all over again.

Anyway, feedback appreciated. I may end up playing dictator and do whatever
needs to be done for expediency's sake, but would certainly prefer to work
with the majority.

Cheers

Nic - Current webmaster that hasn't had as much time as he wishes to work on
our site...

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Carl Rosner

Nic:
You are running the show. I feel that you should do what is best for the ease of operation..

Best regards,

your NJBB,

Carl L Rosner

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Pat Patterson

G'day all...especially Nic...

Nic...thanks for what you are doing...

Speaking for my self...and very likely for others...since some us, probably
most, are not PC/Internet gurus, I think we should try to keep our
Forum/Galleries as close to KISS systems as we can.

One part of this is the use of multiple passwords. If we require the use of
two passwords, then it will soon be three, then four...I know, I know,
passwords protect us and our data, but I HATE PASSWORDS!

Anyone who uses the internet is very likely already using several passwords...I
already feel like a Password Administrator...I used to get paid handsomely for
just that.

Are we going to attract more new members with a highly sophisticated system?
The easier it is for new people, almost anyone for that matter, to get answers,
the more likely they are to use the IBC.

In general, a more sophisticated system is more difficult to learn and/or
maintain.

KISS!!!

I hope that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Have a good day...

Pat

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'