Old 21-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] IBC Site: Forum/Galleries

Nic...thanks for what you are doing...

Y'all are welcome

Speaking for my self...and very likely for others...since some us,

probably
most, are not PC/Internet gurus, I think we should try to keep our
Forum/Galleries as close to KISS systems as we can.

Agreed. The changes I'm talking about are not about complicating your life
(and they shouldn't), but about easing my life.

One part of this is the use of multiple passwords. If we require the use

of
two passwords, then it will soon be three, then four...I know, I know,
passwords protect us and our data, but I HATE PASSWORDS!

Which is why I am suggesting an integrated forum so you can use your
username and password throughout the entire site, including forums.

Are we going to attract more new members with a highly sophisticated

system?

I think here that my intentions were misunderstood. I'm not thinking a
highly sophisticated system. I'm talking about putting in a Content
Management System that is easy to use and powerful. For the average user
visiting the site, there is likely not going to be any difference, except
perhaps improved performance (faster loading for instance).

At this point, with the amount of information we have on the site, using a
content management system is the only option.

In general, a more sophisticated system is more difficult to learn and/or
maintain.

Not necessarily so. In this case, the "system", named Mambo, is a very easy
to use CMS. I know a 12 year old who's created sites with it, no worries
But that's beside the point. From a user point of view, there is no real
learning to do. Just use the site as you would any other site. Unless you
want to submit content. When that is the case, you end up with a friendly
user interface to allow you to do that.

Another part of learning would be how the integrated forum function. That
is, keeping the same/similar functionality as the current forum, just that
functions are organised a little differently. I'm not talking about adding
lots of bells and whistles.

I hope this provides a little more information and reassurances as to what
I'm hoping to accomplish.

Nic

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 21-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Jim Lewis

I thought Pat's article might be a good addition to the
"Knowledge Base."

jim

TO THE BIGINNERS OUT THE

We hope that the following information will help you to get off
to a good start, and that your interest in bonsai becomes a life
long pursuit.

There are three things (plus NEXT, below) that a beginner should
do, right at the beginning:
1. Read...read...read...then read some more.
2. Join a local club.
3. Take a beginners class.

READ...READ...READ...go to your local library and read every
book
on bonsai that you can put your hands on. In the US, the book
most often recommended for beginners is BONSAI, published by
Sunset...an excellent first book for beginners. Be sure to get
the 2003 edition. Among my favorite authors a Herb
Gustafson,
Dorothy Korschoff, Colin Lewis and John Naka...and, many, many
more. The more you read, the better prepared you will be to ask
questions here (on the IBC), or at your local club...in Step 2.

JOIN A LOCAL CLUB...here is where you can get the best advice
available, since the local club members are the ones who are
raising bonsai in YOUR geographical area. The local club can
help you avoid the pitfalls that you may encounter when you get
advice from, maybe, half way around the world. Many things in
bonsai are pretty much universal, but you need to know what it
takes to keep a bonsai healthy in your location...be it Tucson,
San Francisco, Sidney, or Toronto. There are many more benefits
to being a member of a local club.

TAKE A BEGINNERS CLASS...this is where you begin learning the
basics, like selecting a nursery plant, which plant to start
with, identifying the front, branch trimming, wiring, and on and
on. You will begin to learn what works best for your area, what
tools you need, and how to use them, etc. A good beginners
class
will get you off to a good start.

NEXT…the Internet Bonsai Club (IBC) has a lot to offer. Check
out the IBC HOME PAGE at http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
where you will find such things as FAQs, ASK THE DOCTOR (where
you can describe the symptoms of an ailing plant and get
suggestions from Dr. Nina as to how to fix them), The BONSAI
KNOWLEDGE BASE, and more…much more.

Now, having taken these three steps, welcome to the wonderful
obsession, I mean world, of bonsai!

Enjoy.

Pat

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 21-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Alan Walker

Jim: If you do that, I recommend one small correction. I suspect
he meant the more widely published Deborah Koreshoff (also note
spelling), rather than her mother, Dorothy.
Alan Walker

Old 22-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Pat Patterson

G'day all...

Thank you Jim and Alan...

And Yes, I did mean Deborah Korschoff. Just having a senior moment, I suppose.

Old 24-08-2004, 04:22 AM
Ovais

Has any one got experience of germinating Boabab seeds, i got it from south
africa, when Charles Ceronio visited us.

ovais
Pakistan Bonsai So.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++