Old 25-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Andrew G

Default Use of Lime Sulphur

Hi everyone,

Just currently in the process of reading a book on Bonsai (Koreshoff) and
have seen a mention or 2 of Lime Sulphur.
I understand it's uses in general but when it comes to bonsai I don't fully
understand.
1) If I were to wound a tree by carving it and apply LS is it true that it
will stop disease and stop the wound eventually filling in/healing over, so
as to keep that look.
If so what rate approx should I apply it, and how often?
2) When applying it to jin, does it create/keep the wood looking old?
Any other uses apart from fungal problems when it comes to Lime Sulphur and
Bonsai

Thanks for any help

Andrew
Mid North Coast
New South Wales
Australia

Old 25-08-2004, 11:34 AM
kevin bailey

The lime sulphur has a slight preservative effect but will not stop any
healing over. Carving the edges correctly and sometimes repeatedly is
necessary. If used concentrated, (neat) its main effect is is bleaching
the wood. This can result in an unnatural stark white appearance - liked
by some but despised by many. Much better to mix a little gray or brown
pigment such as ink, soot or watercolour paint in with it and test first
on a piece of unwanted deadwood. Do your bleaching outdoors! And take
care not to allow any lime sulphur to get onto bark or soil.

It is also used dilute as a winter wash and an insecticide but this is
not something I use it for.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

[...]

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-08-2004, 11:34 AM
kevin bailey

[...]

[IBC] Lime Sulphur Application Martha Fifield Bonsai 2 03-08-2005 12:28 PM
[IBC] Use of Lime Sulphur Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 4 28-08-2004 01:35 PM
Use of Lime Sulphur Andrew G Bonsai 0 25-08-2004 10:58 AM
Use of Sulphur David Hill United Kingdom 33 03-02-2004 12:32 AM
[IBC] Lime Sulphur Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 29-03-2003 12:44 PM