Old 31-01-2004, 11:08 PM
David Hill

Default Use of Sulphur

Lets get one thing straight, this is a discussion group, members give the
help. advice tips etc that they feel able to give, there is nothing to say
that they cant give advice.
Also because someone doesn't get an answer that spells out in detail the
kind of advice he/she wants then it is not the group failing.
I feel that my advice regarding the use of sulphur etc was fairly detailed.
If you consider that it fails to answer your question then so be it.
I find that the tone of the last 2 postings is bordering on the offensive.
We out up with a lot of garbage as well as some down right rudeness in this
group and I for one feel that it is time that some people just grew up.
If I want serious. detailed horticultural advice regarding a problem with
the nursery. I have the choice of :-

1. trying to find it on the internet,
2. Using reference books to find the answer,
3. Asking someone who I know has more knowledge than me,
4. Going to a professional advisory service and paying for it.

If I don't find what I want or am doubtful about the answer then I go on and
try another source. I don't bitch about it.

Likewise if some asks for advice I give it to the best of my ability and
don't bitch about being asked, we all want help at times..we none of us
know all the answers.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

and don't bitch about being asked, we all want help at times..we
none of us know all the answers.

Does this help: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

--
William Tasso

and don't bitch about being asked, we all want help at times..we

Old 01-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Tony Bull

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
[...]

I agree with you Mr Hill.
It would be fine if all the contributors to the group wrote out of a
wish to help rather than showing off all of their wonderful knowledge.
I have had some lovely emails from people I have helped, as well as
some offensive ones which I think were undeserved. If I disagree with
someone I usually try to keep it to myself.
Anyway, sulphur is I think a fairly good fungicide, it is still used
as a constituent of Bordeaux mixture and is used as a spray for vines
whose grapes can be made into organic wine.Prior to the clean air act
it was also present in higher concentations than now as sulphur
dioxide and sulphur trioxide and reduced the incidence of rose black
spot. I small price to pay for half the population suufering from
chronic brochitis!

Old 01-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Bob Hobden

"martin" wrote in message after Tony
wrote:

Anyway, sulphur is I think a fairly good fungicide, it is still used
as a constituent of Bordeaux mixture and is used as a spray for vines
whose grapes can be made into organic wine.

Bordeaux mix is copper sulphate solution.

Copper Sulphate and Lime.

How anybody can see this as a healthy ecological product is beyond me.

True, but there was nothing else ( that I would use) to enable the growing
of outdoor Tomatoes until the advent of "Ferline", a Blight resistant
variety. At least it washes off easily.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
368 data units completed.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Bob Hobden

wrote:

Anyway, sulphur is I think a fairly good fungicide, it is still used
as a constituent of Bordeaux mixture and is used as a spray for vines
whose grapes can be made into organic wine.

Bordeaux mix is copper sulphate solution.

Copper Sulphate and Lime.

How anybody can see this as a healthy ecological product is beyond me.

True, but there was nothing else ( that I would use) to enable the growing
of outdoor Tomatoes until the advent of "Ferline", a Blight resistant
variety. At least it washes off easily.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
368 data units completed.

[IBC] Use of Lime Sulphur Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 4 28-08-2004 01:35 PM
Use of Lime Sulphur Andrew G Bonsai 2 25-08-2004 11:34 AM
Use of Lime Sulphur Andrew G Bonsai 0 25-08-2004 10:58 AM
[IBC] Lime Sulphur Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 29-03-2003 12:44 PM
where to get flowers of sulphur ken sands United Kingdom 7 17-01-2003 08:31 PM