Old 31-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Mike Waterhouse

Default [IBC] Larch in Maine

I have been growing American Larch here in Maine for several years and
have been experimenting with pruning and wiring techniques, different soil
mixtures, watering and fertilizing, winter care and light exposure and even
the timing of repotting.

I have fifteen groups of trees each with about five trees. I do see
differences in some of the groups from year to year because of the
different treatment they receive.

Pruning and pinching;
I do most of my pinching from early June until the end of the month. I
find when I pinch past the middle of July I will often have to tender new
growth early in the fall and I end up with a lot of dieback the next
spring.I do most of the structural pruning throughthe winter months except
on trees I plan on repotting that spring, I find it's a bit hard on the
tree to cut from both ends to much all in the same year.

Wiring;
I do most of my wiring from mid fall (just after needle drop, late
October here) to mid winter. I find that wiring the twigy branches in the
fall works for me and the larger branches and trunks a little later into
the winter. I have also had good luck wiring larger branches in mid summer.

Fertilizing;
I try to keep it simple. For the most part I use Schultz 10-15-10 from
mid May until early September. Depending on how I have pruned will
determine how often and how strongly I apply fertilizer. Also the amount of
rain and how often I have to water will make a difference.

Soil;
I use a fairly organic soil mix. About 60% bark mulch and peat mix and 40%
coarse sand but I have used a 90% bark mulch/peat and verylittle coarse
sand and have had good results.

Repotting;
I do most of my repotting in early spring (late April) I have repotted
in late fall with good results but be sure to give good protection from
severe cold through the winter. I try to repot every two to three years.

Watering;
For the most part I keep them fairly moist and carefull not to let them
dry out.

Sun;
I grow most of them in full sun most of the year but I find if you put
them in a somewhat shady area from late summer into the fall you will get
muchbetter collor.

Winter care;
For trees in nursery containers and oversized bonsai training pots I
leave them outside on the ground but protected from the wind somewhat. For
trees in shallow bonsai pots I find I have to mulch and cover through the
winter.

Now, after saying all this the one thing that plays a giant role in all
the care we give our trees involves another hobby of mine, the weather. The
two go hand in hand and by keeping a close eye on the weather will help you
keep your trees in better health.

Mike Waterhouse
Litchfield, Maine

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Mark Hill

Thanks for this useful info Mike
I started two little Larch group plantings earlier this spring and your
detailed instructions are now a valuable part of my literature.
Hopefully I'll have as much success as you.

Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA - Zone 6

[...]

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 31-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Rodger Kessler

Have just been talking wi Nick Lenz about fertilzing Larches because I am
just back from Newfoundland and saw Larches there with very short neeedles.
Nick's thought is that the area is nitrogen poor, and he suggests very low
nitrogen in Larch fertilization. For what it is worth.
THanks Mike, We are trying to grow Larches in Vermont, and your knowledge is
very helpful. Rodger

[...]

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] [Fwd: [IBC] Larch problem] John Biel Bonsai 0 04-08-2005 04:51 PM
anacharis substitute? (it's illegal in Maine) Brian Ponds 17 01-08-2003 09:42 AM
Maine Wild Blueberries Ann Gardening 10 18-07-2003 02:52 AM
Grass Seed For Maine Bill LaFleur Lawns 0 23-04-2003 05:20 PM
Grass Seed For Maine Bill LaFleur Edible Gardening 4 23-04-2003 05:20 PM