Old 24-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Brian

Default anacharis substitute? (it's illegal in Maine)

Hi there,
I have two new half-barrel ponds. I put a water lily and two marginals
in each of them. I'd like to get some more plants, particularly something
that can provide oxygen and prevent algae. In my research, I've heard
glowing reviews of anacharis for this purpose. However, I just learned that
anacharis is illegal in the state of Maine so I can't buy it anywhere.
(It's also illegal to put goldfish into any outdoor pond, even a barrel!)
I'm wondering if anyone has other suggestions for floating or submerged
plants that can help me round out my ecosystem. Does anyone else keep ponds
in Maine, or are the laws too restrictive? It's a real shame, given that
there are so many natural bogs and other wetlands, that we are so restricted
in terms of recreating one in our own yards. I growing discouraged about
the possibility of putting a more ambitious water feature in my yard with
all of these regulations.

Thanks for any tips.
Brian

Old 25-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Moontanman

Are you sure it's illegal to put fish in an artificial pond with no out let?
You might be getting info about adding goldfish to a natural pond not a lawn
pond. As for anachris I thought it was native to Maine. where are you getting
your info? do they understand you are talking about a lawn pond?

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 25-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Brian

Yeah, that's what they said at the aquarium store where I tried to buy it.
They can't sell anacharis at all in Maine. It's also illegal to stock
non-native fish anywhere outside. They have really strict rules about this
stuff in Maine, but I didn't realize how much it would affect my pond plans.

Old 25-07-2003, 12:32 AM
jammer

Yeah, that's what they said at the aquarium store where I tried to buy it.
They can't sell anacharis at all in Maine. It's also illegal to stock
non-native fish anywhere outside. They have really strict rules about this
stuff in Maine, but I didn't realize how much it would affect my pond plans.

I looked before i went to work, and after. I cant find much searching
for Maine pond club, pond society, or even koi club.
Old 25-07-2003, 01:03 AM
Anne Lurie

Brian,

I had no luck finding anything helpful for you when I googled the same
topics that Jammer did, sigh.. (And yes, Moon, goldfish seem to be illegal
in Maine, from what I read.)

OTOH, Brian, I think that you could legally put sunfish in your pond, if I
read the Maine statutes correctly. Of course, they might be somewhat
stunted in a half-barrel pond!

Have you ever thought about moving to New Hampshire? :

Sorry, but I lived in northern VT for 8 years and the best thing we could
say about New Hampshire was that it had such a great view of Vermont! (not
my words, just a quote from the *most excellent book* "Real Vermonters Don't
Milk Goats"

Anne Lurie
[finally escaped from the snow belt & moved to] Raleigh, NC

et...

Old 25-07-2003, 02:32 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

The way I discover what's illegal in my state is to try to order it and the
website says, "Cannot ship to..." When I looked up anacharis, it said, "We
cannot ship this product to Vermont or Washington."

Where can you find what's banned in your state beyond that method?

--
LN in NH (new gardener in zone 5)
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

Old 25-07-2003, 03:02 AM
K30a

LN wrote Where can you find what's banned in your state beyond that method?

Go to google.com, enter 'state ____ noxious illegal plants' and you should
find a webpage that lists them.

k30a
Old 25-07-2003, 03:32 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Thanks. That helped me find: http://www.invasivespecies.gov/laws/main.shtml

Funny, when I looked up my state, I found some plants I have in my pond that
I bought in my own state. Hmmm.

Old 25-07-2003, 05:22 AM
K30a

LN wrote Funny, when I looked up my state, I found some plants I have in
my pond that
I bought in my own state. Hmmm.

Yup, I found frogbit for sale in my state last year, a banned plant.

k30a
Old 25-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Nedra

Cybe,
I wouldn't, would you? If you look at the numbers of plants
banned in Missouri you will see why...... no way am I going
to do their police work.

Nedra

"Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
news:20030725082054.7c73606b.cyber_wizard@mindspri ng.com...
On 25 Jul 2003 04:14:12 GMT
ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

LN wrote Funny, when I looked up my state, I found some plants I
have in my pond that
I bought in my own state. Hmmm.

Yup, I found frogbit for sale in my state last year, a banned plant.

k30a

So, did you turn in the dealer?

Cybe

Old 25-07-2003, 03:42 PM
K30a

Cybe wrote So, did you turn in the dealer?

Nope.
At the time I didn't know it was banned
in this state.
And I wouldn't have turned them in anyway.
I'd let them know what I had found out and then they might have removed it from
sale. You want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

k30a
Old 25-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Anne Lurie

I found this website yesterday when I was looking for info on anacharis --
you can check by plant name or by state name:
http://invader.dbs.umt.edu/Noxious_Weeds/ in US & Canada.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 25-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Dan Dixon

I looked at that link and saw nothing about either type of anacharis being
banned or illegal in Maine.

Maine's own Dept of Environmental Protection does not list it either.

http://www.state.me.us/dep/blwq/topi...es/invlist.htm

What's all the hubub?

Dan Dixon

Old 26-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Cichlidiot

Dan Dixon wrote:
I looked at that link and saw nothing about either type of anacharis being
banned or illegal in Maine.

Maine's own Dept of Environmental Protection does not list it either.

http://www.state.me.us/dep/blwq/topi...es/invlist.htm

What's all the hubub?

Look again, this time looking at species names, not common name. Anacharis
is Egeria densa, which is listed on that page under the now uncommon
"common" name of Brazilian Elodea (although I still remember when
anacharis was sold as elodea and I'm not too old I hope). Most of the
other good submerged plants are also banned (fanwort/camboda, milfoil,
parrot feather). Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) doesn't seem to be
listed though. Perhaps that would be a viable alternative to anacharis
for the original poster.
Old 26-07-2003, 12:12 AM
jammer

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:20:54 -0500, "Cybe R. Wizard"
wrote:

On 25 Jul 2003 04:14:12 GMT
(K30a) wrote:

LN wrote Funny, when I looked up my state, I found some plants I
have in my pond that
I bought in my own state. Hmmm.

Yup, I found frogbit for sale in my state last year, a banned plant.

k30a

So, did you turn in the dealer?

Cybe

That would be "biting the hand that feeds you" wouldn't it?

"A good illegal alien is a dead illegal alien". Cannot bedisputed. Ted[_2_] Gardening 13 14-03-2008 11:04 AM
Maine Blueberries Jane Lumley Gardening 13 28-07-2004 12:02 PM
Maine Wild Blueberries Ann Gardening 10 18-07-2003 02:52 AM
Grass Seed For Maine Bill LaFleur Lawns 0 23-04-2003 05:20 PM
Grass Seed For Maine Bill LaFleur Edible Gardening 4 23-04-2003 05:20 PM