Old 09-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] FW: [IBC] Purple leaf plum

Randall,

No - still attached to the tree. I'm going to remove it this weekend and stick it in a nursery pot. Hopefully, there is still enough time for additional roots to develop so that it will survive the winter. Will probably keep it on the sunporch once temps start dipping below freezing. I probably won't take a picture until it survives the winter! I'm with you, though. If I can get 15 or so years out of it after that - assuming the other qualities can be achieved - I'll be quite happy. The tree that I'm layering is about 17 years old and definitely showing signs of age. However, I drastically pruned it last year and got a huge amount of new growth this spring. I'm going to hard prune everything I didn't do last year and hopefully the results will be similar. I'd like to get a few more years out of the tree - replacing it with something of similar size will be a MAJOR expense.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39