Old 18-10-2006, 09:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Concord Grapes and Purple leaf Plum Trees

Ok this might be a little long but please help if you can. I finally
after 30 years have bought my first home with a large yard, I want to
plant the following and want to know if it will work in these
conditions, Location Far north Texas, Sherman area zone 7-9.

I want to grow some concord purple grapes for home canning and home
use, is there a seedless variety and how many years before they have a
yeild of any kind?

Second, ornamental plum trees (deep dark purple leaf trees) I was told
years ago they are fruitless, however I have not only seen these trees
bear fruit, the fruit was deliciuos, just where can I purchase these
fruit trees, don't see them in any of the normal catalogs. And if they
are available how long before the first harvest. The source for the
ones I tried is not available at all so it's like a search into the
unknown,

Any help would be appreciated

Rusty

Old 18-10-2006, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Yes, there is a seedless version of the Concord. I have not tried it
but some reports indicate that it is inferior to the regular Concord.
Regular Concord should begin bearing by the third year. You need to
talk to your Agricultural extension agent to determine whether or not
they will grow in your part of Texas.

The ornamental plums that I am familiar with are either fruitless or
have small useless fruit. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53217/index.html
http://treegrowersdiary.com/plumfacts.html

Old 18-10-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 18, 4:11 am, "wawwiz" wrote:
Ok this might be a little long but please help if you can. I finally
after 30 years have bought my first home with a large yard, I want to
plant the following and want to know if it will work in these
conditions, Location Far north Texas, Sherman area zone 7-9.

I want to grow some concord purple grapes for home canning and home
use, is there a seedless variety and how many years before they have a
yeild of any kind?

it is a bit hot there for Concord. Are you prepared to spray it or
otherwise divert the wasps that will suck your grapes dry - or rotten?

Concord grapes B. Joshua Rosen Edible Gardening 3 07-08-2003 10:13 PM
Concord Grapes Gardening 0 11-04-2003 11:20 AM
Concord Grapes Warren Gardening 0 04-04-2003 06:08 PM