Old 28-09-2004, 05:46 AM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Australian Dwarf Eucalyptus

Hi Everybody

I have a plant which came to me as Australian Dwarf Eucalyptus and is being trained in Informal Upright Style. I have been told that its botanical name is Malaluca Dendron. Can anybody confirm the common name, botanical name and of course the correct spellings, and also some information about this plant. Please!

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-09-2004, 02:25 AM
Iris Cohen

The name is Melaleuca leucadendron. Do a Web search on that name & you will get
tons of information. Do a search on Melaleuca bonsai & you will get more stuff
about various species as bonsai.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 29-09-2004, 02:29 AM
Iris Cohen

The leaves of this plant are small about 1
cm long, elliptical and on crushing gives off fragrance like those of
Myrtle Myrtus communis, the colour and texture of the trunk is like that of
Eucalyptus.

Not surprising, since they all belong to the Myrtle family.
Old 29-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Anil Kaushik

Iris

Are you sure it is "Melaleuca leucadendron" or "Melaleuca dendron"?

Old 30-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Andrew G

"Anil Kaushik" wrote in message
Hi Everybody

I have a plant which came to me as Australian Dwarf Eucalyptus and is

being trained in Informal Upright Style. I have been told that its
botanical name is Malaluca Dendron. Can anybody confirm the common name,
botanical name and of course the correct spellings, and also some
information about this plant. Please!

As others have covered botanical name, I'll try and give a few general tips
on Australian natives.
Don't feed with a hi in Phosphorous fertilser.
Generally natives don't like roots being disturbed, but that is a general
rule of thumb, but when it comes to bonsai it's possible. Roots should only
be pruned while the plants dormant. Generally here in Australia that is
toward the end of winter, but they do go into states of dormancy in the
year. One way to induce it is by cutting the watering for a while, though
this of course has it's risks.
The name is kinda false, as it's not really a Eucalyptus, but rather a
paperbark, so I won't give the details I have on Eucalypts as bonsai.
Try and keep as much soil as possible on the roots when repotting as usually
they have the nitrogen fixing nodules on them (can't remember the exact name
for that).
My guess is to keep it from sub zero temperatures.
Finally this is in general for natives, and not specific to your paperbark.
Anyway, hope this helps a little
Cheers
Andrew

--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Anil Kaushik

Thank you Andrew for the information on the Australian native plants. You
say, "it is not really a Eucalyptus but rather a paperbark". You mean to
say it is not from the myrtaceae family ? What is paperbark? Could you
please throw some more light on this point?

Old 04-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Andrew G

http://www.utas.edu.au/docs/plant_sc...s/dicots/MYRTA.
html