Old 18-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Plant name help

I just got back from a bonsai show where I purchased
something called purple star jasmine, but I ti not a
jasmine. The name the seller gave me was ctrewia
laffra. Has anyone heard of it?

Kitsune Miko

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-10-2004, 01:54 AM
William Valavanis

The plant you are talking about is probably Grewia occidentalis.

Common names include: Grewia, Lavendar Star Flower and Star Of David.
This plant is excellent for bonsai and I have even seen specimens
trained in Japan.

Iris Cohen has had considerable good luck with growing and training
Grewia and authored the article "Growing & Training Grewia Or Lavendar
Star Flower" in the 2001/NO. 4 issue of International BONSAI. It is one
of the very few species I recommend for indoor cultivation in northern
areas. It is very easy to grow in difficult conditions.

Good luck with your plant, I'm sure you will enjoy the flowers and
purple fruit.

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 18-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Iris Cohen

I just got back from a bonsai show where I purchased something called purple
star jasmine,
The name the seller gave me was ctrewia
laffra

Boy, reminds me of what the Greeks did to the Phoenician alphabet when they
schlepped it across the Mediterranean.
The common name is properly lavender star flower. Some growers call it star of
David, for no good reason, since it has 10 sepals & petals, not 6.
The proper botanical name is Grewia occidentalis. It has been grown in England
since 1690, but as a pot plant I would keep it frost-free.
Some nurseries sell it as Grewia caffra, but that is incorrect. G. caffra has
yellow flowers.
If you need more information, let me know.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)