Old 19-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Sagritia theezans

Hello Everybody

In the last three weeks reading all the post on this forum was a good pass time. Today while clicking the photographs of the Bonsai, I was surprised to see my Sagritia theezans Bonsai growing wonderfully. The weather here in Chandigarh is cooling down with minimum of 10* C and maximum around 26* C. Most of the Bonsai are slipping into dormancy but this one is growing vigorously. I did observe in the past three years at this time of the year, but it was hardly showing any growth. The only factor that I think may have some effect, was the liberal doze of my favorite fertilizer *Sterameal* which is a mixture of bonemeal, hornmeal, bloodmeal, hoofmeal and many other organic ingredients.

Can anyone throw some light on this species from his experience? Please. This is not a popular subject in India.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Brent Walston

Anil Kaushik wrote:

... I was surprised to see my Sagritia theezans Bonsai growing wonderfully. The weather here in Chandigarh is cooling down with minimum of 10* C and maximum around 26* C. Most of the Bonsai are slipping into dormancy but this one is growing vigorously. I did observe in the past three years at this time of the year, but it was hardly showing any growth. The only factor that I think may have some effect, was the liberal doze of my favorite fertilizer *Sterameal* which is a mixture of bonemeal, hornmeal, bloodmeal, hoofmeal and many other organic ingredients.

Can anyone throw some light on this species from his experience? Please. This is not a popular subject in India.

Anil

The correct name for this species is now Sageretia thea (thanks Iris!).
I agree with the other post about fertilizer; this is a hungry species
and seems to need high fertility and lots of root space to grow
vigorously. In addition, I have discovered that the type of fertilizer
makes a difference. It responds best to ammoniacal forms of nitrogen,
doubtless why your organic formula works so well.

In spite of the fact that this species can put on a lot of shoots and
foliage quickly, it forms a larger trunk at a painfully slow rate. The
wood must be very dense. In your tropical area, it may grow more
quickly, but trying to grow it in a temperate climate has been
frustrating. I have a stock plant that is probably fifteen years old and
the trunk is only about one inch in caliper. I have NEVER seen any of my
plants flower, so I don't know what the secret of blooming is. It does
seem to put on a rapid growth spurt after the heat of summer and the
onset of cooler weather and shorter days.

Brent Walston
Zone 8 N. California
EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Brent

Thanks for the correction.

Additional notes. I think they do better in a peat based soil as opposed to
the typical bonsai soil of Turface, gravel and bark. I have my older plant in
a 12 inch bulb pan with Metro Mix 500 and it has never looked healthier.
Also I think they need frequent, at least annual, repotting, in fresh soil.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++