Old 28-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] Privets

The darn things grows like a weed. Err, it *is* a weed

I believe that many of you on the list have done some good work with privets
in bonsai. Brian Inglis seems to have some fantastic ones out in
Queensland. I think Jim L. has a few wee ones as well. I'd be interested
to hear feedback on cultivating it for bonsai.

It is considered a pest in most of New Zealand, though the local city
council folks told me that they think it an excellent form of control if I
pull it out of the soil and pot it, as long as I control and limit flowering
grin

I think I could see making groves and forests with it. Cheap, grows fairly
fast, and an endless supply.

My problem, however, is to indentify which type of privet it is. I believe
most privets in New Zealand are either ligustrum sinensis, or ligustrum
lucidum. I'm leaning towards sinensis, but it doesn't appear to fit 100%.
Oh humm, I perhaps should post a photo on the gallery

Anyway, 'nough rambling.

Nic

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Theo

Nicolas Steenhout wrote:

[...]

seeds are en excellent chinise trad medecine ... harvest them...

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 28-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Steven Wachs

I have a dwarf Privet of some sort. I have it for 10 years or so. I hhave a bunch of cuttings that rook , so I srated a forest. It's a tough tree.

SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Jim Lewis

On 28 Nov 2004 at 22:41, Nicolas Steenhout wrote:

The darn things grows like a weed. Err, it *is* a weed

Yes. One of the most invasive plants in the southeastern USA.
My woods are filled with it -- mostly around clearings, since
they like sunlight.

I believe that many of you on the list have done some good work with privets
in bonsai. Brian Inglis seems to have some fantastic ones out in
Queensland. I think Jim L. has a few wee ones as well. I'd be interested
to hear feedback on cultivating it for bonsai.

It is considered a pest in most of New Zealand, though the local city
council folks told me that they think it an excellent form of control if I
pull it out of the soil and pot it, as long as I control and limit flowering
grin

The flowers aren't real attractive anyway -- and they STINK!
But it is more important to not let fruit form. Birds gobble
them up, then defecate the seeds while perched on fences or on
branches overhanging the woods' edge.

I think I could see making groves and forests with it. Cheap, grows fairly
fast, and an endless supply.

Great for root over rock, raft, wide spreading (mushroom) forms,
and cascade; most anything but pine tree shape. Clump is their
natural form.

My problem, however, is to indentify which type of privet it is. I believe
most privets in New Zealand are either ligustrum sinensis, or ligustrum
lucidum. I'm leaning towards sinensis, but it doesn't appear to fit 100%.
Oh humm, I perhaps should post a photo on the gallery

Lucidum has glossy green leaves, smoother bark on branches.
Sinensis has smaller, non-glossy leaves, a bit more yellow green
than the other, and (often) branches with little raised "dots"
over them.

Sinensis also is the more prolific grower. But, unless you dig
one with a big, fat trunk, they're a bit hard to fatten up.
They prefer to grow little toothpicky sprouts. Snipping,
pruning, and pinching is a full-time job for the growing season.
Watch for root sprouts some distance away from the main plant.

Where _I_ live, they're green most of the year, but they really
are deciduous plants.

You can do almost anything with the roots at any time of the
year (here in N. Fla., at least). Roots in pots tend to be very
fine and very thickly growing. When you dig from the woods,
though, you will find a few large, hard, fat ones growing out a
long distance (and sprouting periodically to form thickets).
Cut these close to the base of the trunk. Plant in a sphagnum-
rich soil and the tree won't even flinch.

The wood is hard and doesn't rot easily. It is carveable, and
takes lime sulfur well. Overall the bark is a nondescript gray
with little character, even in older specimens. It is very thin
and easily damaged. Sprouts will proliferate around the site of
a wound.

Twigs and branches have a "memory." You need to keep them wired
for some time -- raising the likelihood that wires will bite
into the bark. Since wiring scars heal VERY slowly, you will
need to remove tight wires, then re-wire immediately. However,
you can break branches and twigs into a bend and the tree hardly
notices (that's assuming you don't end up holding a piece of a
broken branch in one hand). Clip and grow (CONSTANT clip and
grow) may be the best training method with privet.

Cut scars heal slowly -- very slowly. You may have to
incorporate into the design (or hide) chop scars forever.

Mine have been frozen solid in their pots for 2 weeks at a time;
one year they were encased in ice (leaves and all) for 4-5 days.
Drought will kill them (in pots -- NOT in the wild). I've never
had a case of root rot on a privet.

Standard bonsai soil (from the rambling thread on soil we've
been enduring, I guess "standard" can be interpreted fairly
liberally [if I may use that word these days]).

I have to repot my shohin/mame at least twice a year. Roots
grow fast! They'll push a tree out of a shallow pot in 4
months. In other growing regimes, growth may be slower, but I
wouldn't bet on it.

Propagate from cuttings of most any size. I've never layered
one, but assume from their weediness that they'd do OK.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Andrew G

"Nicolas Steenhout" wrote in message
T.COM...
The darn things grows like a weed. Err, it *is* a weed

I believe that many of you on the list have done some good work with

privets
in bonsai. Brian Inglis seems to have some fantastic ones out in
Queensland. I think Jim L. has a few wee ones as well. I'd be interested
to hear feedback on cultivating it for bonsai.

It is considered a pest in most of New Zealand, though the local city
council folks told me that they think it an excellent form of control if I
pull it out of the soil and pot it, as long as I control and limit

flowering
grin

Just check with your local council on it's classification.
Here in NSW Australia a couple of years ago it was moving up the noxious
weeds list possibly to a level of "it must be destroyed if on your
property". I can't recall the exact class of noxious weed that is.
When I worked on the council about 4yr ago the rule was it wasn't to be
propagated by any means, and it must be regularly trimmed of floy wers.
Mostly in the town I lived in, worked at, many houses had old privet hedges.
All privet on public land was destroyed, and any hedge that was seen to go
to seed was removed by us. Most people seemed to abide by the law as the
only hedges/plants we removed were on vacant houses. I think the owners let
them go to seed so we would remove them, saved them the job. However I
collected a few good bonsai from the hedges, all small leafed privet.
Cheers
Andrew

Old 29-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

I have a plant, purchased from Miami Tropical a few years ago, but imported
from China. DS Tropicals on the West coast of Florida is selling the same
thing, some on EBAY
Is this what we are talking about?
It tends to send out a lot of new growth in warm weather. Small, round
leaves. Dries out very fast.
I keep my trimmed on a regular basis and have never seen a bloom.
It also gets black spot fungus.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Jim Lewis

On 29 Nov 2004 at 5:55, Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

I have a plant, purchased from Miami Tropical a few years ago, but imported
from China. DS Tropicals on the West coast of Florida is selling the same
thing, some on EBAY
Is this what we are talking about?
It tends to send out a lot of new growth in warm weather. Small, round
leaves. Dries out very fast.
I keep my trimmed on a regular basis and have never seen a bloom.
It also gets black spot fungus.

It is NOT a tropical. Privet is one of the old, traditional
hedge plants (recently supplanted by many better ones,
thankfully) and was/is used in England as well as "up nawth."

I get no fungus on all of mine. Scale is a problem in late
summer and fall.

[IBC] Privets Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 28-11-2004 09:42 AM
[IBC] Privets Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 28-11-2004 09:42 AM
[IBC] Privets from my yard Kitsune Miko Bonsai 2 21-01-2004 09:09 PM
[IBC] privets ligustrum Matthew Avritt Bonsai 2 20-09-2003 03:10 AM
[IBC] -privets or Ligustrums matthew avritt Bonsai 7 17-09-2003 06:22 PM