Old 16-09-2003, 06:23 AM
matthew avritt

Default [IBC] -

hi everyone my name is matt and im new to the list
and i have a question for anyone who knows anything
about privets or ligustrum anyway i bought one about a
month ago in northeast arkansas and brought it back to
southwest kansas well it started to shed leaves and i
dont know what to do because i think it is a japenese
privetbut if it is this is a sirious problem. thank
you

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] -privets or ligustrum

In a message dated 9/16/2003 1:01:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

privets or ligustrum anyway i bought one about a
month ago in northeast Arkansas and brought it back to
southwest Kansas well it started to shed leaves and i
don't know what to do because i think it is a Japanese
privet

I have a Chinese import Privet that tends to get a leaf disease
similar to black spot on roses which I treat with a systemic fungicide, removal of
yellow leaves and especially removal of leaves from the pot if I miss any
before they drop.
When we bought this in south Florida all the leaves were very yellow.
It is a heavy feeder.
It is also going to drop leaves due to cooler weather.
My suggestions.
1. purchase and use a grandular system rose food/fertilizer
and use about a teaspoon a month on your plant during the growing season.
2. make sure it is wateered when needed, if pot bound they
can dry out very quickly.
3. keep the plant outdoors unless the temperature will be
below freezing.
4. repot the plant in early spring to a good peat based
potting mix.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Shelly Hurd

I'm curious here Billy. I grow my ligustrums in the same mix I use for A.
palmatum (which certainly contains no peat) and they grow fine. I even have
one training in straight sand and I'd say it is out-pacing some of the
others in a somewhat better draining mix. So, why the peat? Even here in
the very dry heat, I'd be concerned about it holding too much water, too
long.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

SNIP of ? and good reply

4. repot the plant in early spring to a good peat based potting mix.

Old 16-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Jim Lewis

hi everyone my name is matt and im new to the list
and i have a question for anyone who knows anything
about privets or ligustrum anyway i bought one about a
month ago in northeast arkansas and brought it back to
southwest kansas well it started to shed leaves and i
dont know what to do because i think it is a japenese
privetbut if it is this is a sirious problem. thank
you

It is a Japanese privet (Ligustrum japonicum) if its leaves are
glossy and dark green, almost black-green (as Dirr says).
Usually their leaves are a bit big for bonsai -- other than
larger ones -- up to 4".

However, they ARE evergreen, so losing leaves -- even at this
time of year -- indicates a problem.

I have no experience with THIS species of Ligustrum, but here are
some notes on privet:

1. They belong outdoors all year long except in the coldest
(well below freezing for weeks at a time) climates.
2. They do NOT like soggy roots. Once-a-day watering, except in
the driest of climates, will do them in. 3. Of course, too dry
will also, but they can withstand drought longer. Water when the
soil feels dry.
4. They tend to get whitefly (and therefore, sooty mold -- which
would be harder to spot on this species with such dark leaves
[look for dull black patches]). But I suspect it's a bit late
for whiteflies in Kansas.

What happens before the leaves fall? Do they turn yellow and
fall? Do they wither, turn brown or black and fall?

Give us some idea of where you are keeping the tree, how you are
watering, whether you've sprayed, and how and when you have
fertilized.

Old 17-09-2003, 05:22 PM
matthew avritt

Default [IBC] -privets or Ligustrums

hello evey one,
ok for jim who wanted to know what the leaves were
doing. Well they were dark green when i purchased it.
But a month after i got it home the leaves started
turning light green to yellow then they would turn
brown and fall off. I have tried to contact the
person i bought it from but no luck. I think im going
to try the rose fertilizer because it does get brown
spots.
The only insects i have found were gnats but they
arn't sopposed to do any harm i dont think. Any way
thank you all for your help

matt

Old 17-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Jim Lewis

hello evey one,
ok for jim who wanted to know what the leaves were
doing. Well they were dark green when i purchased it.
But a month after i got it home the leaves started
turning light green to yellow then they would turn
brown and fall off. I have tried to contact the
person i bought it from but no luck. I think im going
to try the rose fertilizer because it does get brown
spots.
The only insects i have found were gnats but they
arn't sopposed to do any harm i dont think. Any way
thank you all for your help

Gnats, AND the leaves indicate to me that you are watering it
MUCH too heavily!

Keep a stick jammed into the soil. Remove it every morning and
feel the dirty end. If it is at all moist, do NOT water that
day. If it is dry, water.

Fertilizer is NOT medicine. Fertilizing a sick plant will, at
best, do no good. At worst it will hasten the tree's demise.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Privets Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 17 29-11-2004 07:58 PM
[IBC] Privets Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 28-11-2004 09:42 AM
[IBC] Privets Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 28-11-2004 09:42 AM
[IBC] Privets from my yard Kitsune Miko Bonsai 2 21-01-2004 09:09 PM
[IBC] privets ligustrum Matthew Avritt Bonsai 2 20-09-2003 03:10 AM