Old 29-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Alan Walker

Theo: You missed the point. I was talking about soil volume.
Brent had already pointed out the water perching level
phenomenon.

Alan Walker

From: Theo
It is a law of physic. A flat container retains moist as the
container has a flat wide bottom and some holes so the water
adhere on a large surface and sticks to grains that touch it, if
you put the same quantity soil in a cylinder and pour onto the
same quantity of water with the same surface of holes (
proportionally) the water by the gravity will have a tendency to
go down and down until the bottom so the surface that will
retain maximum of moist is the flat zone around the drainage
hole and the grains adhering to it.

a easy experience is to water a rectangular pot and wait for
the water flow out, when it ends take the pot and lift one side
at 45° for few seconds and you'll see how much water will come
out again. This is why is adviced to put pots inclined when you
have heavy water falls to let the water fall out of drain holes
by gravity

Mark Hill wrote:
Brent;
It appears from your drainage logic that my cascade pots should
contain soil that is more able to retain water at higher
elevations. This logic also suggests that I shouldn't water my
cascades as often, and that dryness tests should be performed
lower into the soil. Hmmmmmm..... now you've got me thinking....
maybe I should consider changing the soil in my cascades this
spring.

Old 29-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Theo

Alan Walker wrote:

Theo: You missed the point. I was talking about soil volume.
Brent had already pointed out the water perching level
phenomenon.

sorry with passing by a subjet to another one gets confused

Alan Walker

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Microelemnts Theo Bonsai 49 28-11-2004 07:04 AM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Was [IBC] ADMIN: sloooow - added Holiday Care Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 06:22 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM