Old 02-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Nick Sadler

Default Zelkova Concern

Hi group,

Long time lurker, occasional whiner..
but i got a worry, hopefully someone can help,

After a fairly decent summer season for my trees, I brought them all in at
the tail end of september, my 14 yr old Zelkova (grey bark elm?) had an
especially decent time of it.

however, about a month ago, i found a really decent hive/collection of small
clear mites nesting in its pot. as it turns out, they were enthusiastically
burrowing deep into the roots.

anywho - long story-shortish, I performed an emergency re-pot..
now .. up until a few days ago, the tree was loving it, Loads of new
rowth -but almost within the last week, the remainder of the summer growth
has just dropped.. leaving the last month's new growth on its own. The new
limbs aren't drying, or brown at all.. very fresh-looking.

I'm keeping the soil moist, and not feeding due to the new soil.
the tree's in a not too sunny but bright spot, in the 8-ish hours of
daylight we're getting in england now..

i've had this tree for almost 3 years now.. and is maintained along with 3
others, a serissa, a citrus, and a juniper. I only write because I've never
seen it shed growth so empatically..

any advice/pointers would be warmly received..

many thanks.

nick.

PS - i got a spam thing on the return email address, so please reply to
group - thanks again.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Jim Lewis

On 2 Dec 2004 at 22:43, Nick Sadler wrote:

Hi group,

Long time lurker, occasional whiner..
but i got a worry, hopefully someone can help,

After a fairly decent summer season for my trees, I brought them all in at
the tail end of september, my 14 yr old Zelkova (grey bark elm?) had an
especially decent time of it.

however, about a month ago, i found a really decent hive/collection of small
clear mites nesting in its pot. as it turns out, they were enthusiastically
burrowing deep into the roots.

Mites? Was your tree seeming to suffer from them? All "bugs"
aren't dangerous.

anywho - long story-shortish, I performed an emergency re-pot..
now .. up until a few days ago, the tree was loving it, Loads of new
rowth -but almost within the last week, the remainder of the summer growth
has just dropped.. leaving the last month's new growth on its own. The new
limbs aren't drying, or brown at all.. very fresh-looking.

I'm not sure a repot was necessary, but it's done.

I assume you mean the OLD leaves have dropped. If so, that may
just be fall kicking in and the new leaves haven't yet severed
their ties to the tree.

I'm keeping the soil moist, and not feeding due to the new soil.
the tree's in a not too sunny but bright spot, in the 8-ish hours of
daylight we're getting in england now..

Watch the watering carefully. A tree with few leaves will NOT
use much water. You don't want to add root rot to the mix of
problems. Feeding won't hurt, and if the new leaves are still
working, a _little_ fertilizer (maybe LOW N, though _I_ don't
think it matters) might help.

Give it as much sun and air movement as you can, but protect it
from freezing weather this winter. COLD is OK, but I wouldn't
let the roots freeze.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-12-2004, 03:12 AM
Theo

Nick Sadler wrote:

[...]

normally when you find pests in the soil do not repot just give a
product to kill them / or repot to check the damage if them are roots
eaters
--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 03-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Marty Haber

I think your zelkova is OK. Sounds like seasonal leaf drop. Take a good
look at the dormant buds. Open one up and see if there is green inside. If
so, it will substantiate my guess.

zelkova concern Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 03-12-2004 01:00 AM
zelkova concern Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 03-12-2004 01:00 AM
Zelkova Concern Nick Sadler Bonsai 0 02-12-2004 10:43 PM
splitting bark on pecan trees - cause for concern? Dave-tx Texas 2 21-08-2003 02:12 PM
Bamboo concern Mac United Kingdom 3 26-05-2003 09:44 PM