Old 03-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Bob Cross

Default mame and or shohin books

I'm looking for any books that deal primarily with small bonsai (mame
or shohin). I have both of Gustafson's books and Miniature Bonsai by
Kuo-cheng. I haven't been able to find any others. Does anyone have
any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob Cross
Old 03-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Theo

exist a book from Kokufu exibition just for shohin and mame
you shoudl inquiry with japanese Bonsai assosciation they are quite
thick small square book with over 200 pics and wonderful pots ..,,
I borrowed two from a japanese lady but never dare to ask if she
wanted to sell :-(

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 03-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Jim Lewis

I'm looking for any books that deal primarily with small bonsai
(mame
or shohin). I have both of Gustafson's books and Miniature

Bonsai by
Kuo-cheng. I haven't been able to find any others. Does

anyone have
any suggestions?

In addition to those, I have:

Miniature Bonsai by Katayama (1974). It is in Japanese but has
excellent how-to illustrations and inspirational pics of trees in
his collection. Hard to find. I got mine in Japan.

I also have Katayama's "the Mini-Bonsai Hobby" in English (also
1974). Pretty basic. Few illustrations.

Bonsai Miniatures, a smaller-than-pocket-book size, ring-bound
book(let) by Zeko Nakamura, first printed in 1973 but still
available). Is basic but useful. Color pics of (mostly
uninspiring) trees.

The most recent mini-bonsai book is Lisa Tajima's "Pop Bonsai"
(2004). It's fun and has some good ideas in it. The trees are
NOT traditional -- but that's OK with tiny trees.

Then, Kyosuke Gun has a VERY disappointing book out ("Mini
Bonsai - 1993). It too is in Japanese with how-to drawings, but
they're much more confusing than Katayama's (above). Virtually
no photos. Go to his Website before you order this from Japan
Trading Co (via his website). He has several others, but you are
shooting blind with the subject matter and if they're no better
than this one . . . See: http://mini-bonsai.com/indexe.html then
search for "shohin" in Google and you will find the Japanese
Shohin Society page (some in English) and others.

Issues 45-46 of Bonsai Today have galleries of the 50 best
shohin.

International Bonsai 1992 No. 3 and 2002 No. 2 are both devoted
to miniature bonsai and have some very good info and pics. Both
are available as back issues (or were last time I checked).

Hope this helps. I look forward to anyone else coming up with
other books.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Theo

Hi Jim

Jim Lewis wrote:

than this one . . . See: http://mini-bonsai.com/indexe.html then

thanks a lot it is lovely ... and as helpful as a book

Old 04-12-2004, 07:09 AM
Theo

HI Jim
I have to as y question I had two woinderful huge sakura cherry 30
yadsa far from home and bot dried out 3 years ago
at my great regret as I never thought to make cuttings...
wdo you know or does anyone else know teh best period for cuttings for
Sakura Cherry and for most plants ?
thanks

Old 04-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

On 4 Dec 2004 at 8:09, Theo wrote:

HI Jim
I have to as y question I had two woinderful huge sakura cherry 30
yadsa far from home and bot dried out 3 years ago
at my great regret as I never thought to make cuttings...
wdo you know or does anyone else know teh best period for cuttings for
Sakura Cherry and for most plants ?
thanks

(Please remember to snip!)

In MY experience members of the genus Prunus are fairly
difficult to root from cuttings. Seeds need a sizeable cold
dormancy.) Cuttings need a stronger rooting hormone that most
of us can find in the garden shops, or if we can find it really
justify its purchase since we'll use it so seldom and it has a
VERY short shelf life. I certainly would not attempt a large
cutting, in any case.

That said, as with all/many/most cuttings, spring is the best
time to try.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

[IBC] mame ZELKOVA Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 31-05-2004 04:08 AM
[IBC] Yaupon Holly as mame JOEL MCCORMICK Bonsai 6 25-08-2003 05:12 PM
Hugh Johnson Books, books, books? Jim W United Kingdom 0 17-08-2003 08:45 PM
Great Dixter. Follow up. Books, books, books? Mike United Kingdom 4 17-08-2003 11:32 AM
[IBC] mame out of hibernation Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 02-02-2003 04:07 PM