Old 11-12-2004, 05:17 AM
Tom Pillichody

Default [IBC] Wisteria

Hi Folks:
I have a Wisteria that won't bloom. It is about 8 years old, with a
trunk caliper of 1 inch. It seems healthy and grows like a weed.
(Without bloom, that's what it is). It has only bloomed just once,
about 3 years ago, and nothing since. I've tried about everything and
anything to get it to bloom, with no luck.

I'm open to any suggestions. Is there anything I can do this
winter/spring to force it, or is it too late for this year?
TIA, Tom Pillichody

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-12-2004, 05:27 AM
Alan Walker

Tom: If it's growing like a weed, it may be getting too much
fertilizer. Wisteria won't bloom with too much nitrogen. They
also like to be rather pot bound, so you won't get blooms for a
while after repotting. Another thing which helps is pruning it
back in late summer.

Alan Walker

Old 11-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Jim Lewis

On 11 Dec 2004 at 0:00, Tom Pillichody wrote:

Hi Folks:
I have a Wisteria that won't bloom.

snip

I've tried about everything and
anything to get it to bloom, with no luck.

Without knowing what "everything" is we're bound to duplicate
some of what you've done.

Alan's suggestions are excellent. Your tree should be cut back
quite a bit now. I assume it has lost its leaves.

They should grow in a deepish pot, and the pot should not be
allowed to get too hot, though the leaves need to be in the sun.
The water helps, but if you could set it where the pot will be
in afternoon shade, things will go better.

In summer, the tree should be kept in a tray of water that's
deep enough to go about half-way up the side of the pot. Don't
root prune more often than every 5 years, if possible.

Over the summer, let it grow out, then cut back and let it grow
out again. Do this 2-3 times. In late summer, when growth has
stopped, cut back to about 3-4 buds and remove it from the
water.

Flower buds should form on the stubs over the winter. If it has
bloomed once, it should bloom again -- someday.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Jim Lewis

The final chapter of Peter Adams' "The Art of Flowering Bonsai"
has as good an exposition on growing Wisteria as I have seen
anywhere. (And I say that even though it agrees with me. ;-)

Unfortunately, the book is hard to find, even used. And used
copies are expensive. Don't think Mr. Adams made any royalties
out of this one -- alas.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:35 PM
David J Bockman

http://internetbonsaiclub.org/knowle.../wisteria.html

Dave

"Tom Pillichody" wrote in message
Hi Folks:
I have a Wisteria that won't bloom. It is about 8 years old, with a
trunk caliper of 1 inch. It seems healthy and grows like a weed.
(Without bloom, that's what it is). It has only bloomed just once,
about 3 years ago, and nothing since. I've tried about everything and
anything to get it to bloom, with no luck.

I'm open to any suggestions. Is there anything I can do this
winter/spring to force it, or is it too late for this year?
TIA, Tom Pillichody

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++