Old 16-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Webmaster

Default Mystery book and Interesting bit of history...

I've been enjoying looking through the books I've been cataloging for
sale by our club. There's one I haven't been able to learn much about,
although friend in Japan translated a photo of the cover sheet as -- How
to Create Bonsai and How to Enjoy Bonsai. I suspect it may be by Kenji
Murata because it has the same inscription as in copies of "Bonsai:
Photographs of Now Famous Miniature"

On page 233 I found this historic list that I thought others might find
interesting...

BONSAI ORGANIZATIONS IN THE U.S.A. (September 1963)
California

Bonsai Clubs Association (Northern California)
Mr. Bob Miller, President.
P.O. Box 434, Menlo Park, California.

1) Cascade Bonsai Association
Mr. Walter M. Plumb, President

2) East Bay Bonsai Club
Dr. Carl Norheim, President

3) Kusamura Bonsai Club (English speaking group)
Mr. Ken Nakashima, President

4) Kusamura Bonsai Club (Japanese speaking group)
Mr. Roy I. Nakai, President

5) Marin Bonsai Club
Mr. John J. Berryman, President

6) Midori Bonsai Club
Mr. Freed May, President

7) San Francisco Bonsai Club
Mr. Tom Layman, President

8) Tri Country Bonsai Club
Mrs. Helen Levet, President

Fuji Bonsai Club
Mr. Tomio Sumimoto, President
Berkeley

Peninsula Bonsai Club
Mr. Ken Sugimoto, President

California Bonsai Society
mr. John Y. Naka, President

Los angeles Bonsai Club
Mr. Frank E. Lura, President

American Bonsai Association
Mr. Ben F. Sisson, President
Sacramento

Colorado
Denver Bonsai Club
Mr. George Fukuma
Denver

New York
Bonsai Society of Greater New York
Mr. Jerald Stowell, President
c/o The New York Botanical Garden
Bronx Park, New York

Rochester Bonsai Club
Mrs. Authur Barnes, President

Ohio
Cleveland Bonsai Club
Mrs. Alvert M. Baehr, President

Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Bonsai Society
Mr. Rovert E. Montgomery Temporary Chairman
New Hope

Pittsburgh Bonsai Club
Mr. Eugene G. Henry, President

Washington
Seattle Bonsai Study group
Mrs. Jane Blogg, President

Hawaii
Hawaii Bonsai Kenkyu-Kai
Mr. Walter T. Oda
Honolulu

Hilo Bonsai Club
Mr. Masao Kumura

(it actually had mailing addresses for the presidents, but I didn't feel
like typing them in)

You can see this book's titlepage at
http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/kusamura/...wnBook2-lg.jpg

Dave Curbow