Old 24-12-2004, 04:19 PM
lotty11

Default help! Tree of a thousand stars

hi i need help with my tree of a thousand stars.
It arrived at my house last tuesday (21st) and ever since more and more
of the leaves have started to turn yellow and drop off and i dont know
what i am doing wrong!
Ive been told they can be pretty tempermental and get a bit shocked by
moving and a new enviroment, is this what is making the leaves fall
out? it is currently sitting in a room with a constant temp between
15-20 degress C and has been watered once and is sprayed 2 or 3 times a
day.The tree is 12 years old.
Im new to bonsai and so not very sure on what is happening to my tree.
Please please can some one help!?
Lotty

Old 24-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Jay Sinclair

lotty11 wrote:

hi i need help with my tree of a thousand stars.
It arrived at my house last tuesday (21st) and ever since more and more
of the leaves have started to turn yellow and drop off and i dont know
what i am doing wrong!
Ive been told they can be pretty tempermental and get a bit shocked by
moving and a new enviroment, is this what is making the leaves fall
out? it is currently sitting in a room with a constant temp between
15-20 degress C and has been watered once and is sprayed 2 or 3 times a
day.The tree is 12 years old.
snip

First of all, don't panic. What you have been told is correct - Serissa
foetida (the botanical name for your tree) will drop leaves over the
slightest perceived insult. ;-)

It will be happiest if it has a fair amount of light - a bright window
will work. Ordinary room light will not be enough. If you can't place it
near a window, a fluorescent light a few inches away will work. Don't
use incandescent (light-bulb type) grow lights - they are too hot if
kept close enough to do any good.

Resist the temptation to overwater - water only when it is _almost_ dry.
A preferred method of monitoring soil moisture is to leave a chopstick
or bamboo barbecue skewer stuck in the soil. Every day, pull out the
stick and touch the end that was in the soil. If it's almost dry, you
need to water. Water until it runs out of the drainage holes. It is
probably not necessary to mist the tree.

Serissa are actually pretty tough - I think that a lot of people give up
on them too soon when they drop leaves. Be patient, and if you give it
the right conditions it will recover.

Oh yes, you must also resolve to ignore anything you hear from the IHSC
(the I Hate Serissa Club), which has been pretty quiet of late. ;-)

Good luck!

Jay

Zone 6 - ish, Michigan, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Kitsune Miko

--- Jay Sinclair wrote:
Oh yes, you must also resolve to ignore anything you
hear from the IHSC
(the I Hate Serissa Club), which has been pretty
quiet of late. ;-)

Good luck!

Jay

I just don't wat to deal with a plant who's feelings
are more sensitive than mine.

Kits

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Theo

lotty11 wrote:

serissa
too hot this temp 20 ° C in winther m3 4 cuttings are oustside
since 2 years now and as cuttings rooted during the Swiss winther
which zone do you live in?

Serissa can resist easily -5 celsious I have a picture of one covered
with snow
unless you can put them outside try to keep at least under 10 ° in a
cold green house
beware too much water Serissa need a good drainage but get roots rot
easily if soil is kept soggy
a serissa for a beginner is a challenge even if easy to grow if
not over babysitting them

keep the bonsai in a bright place, no air draft not under direct sun

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 24-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Theo

oh c'mon
I put into soil 4 cuttings sept 2003
in the idea if they freeze who cares ..are just cuttings
they stayed outside all winther rooted, did not loose a leave , made
flowers last sept and are still outside zone 7 geneva switzerland
as easy as that !

a fifth cutting was added in sept last ,a tender green long watery
sprout ...... still green and alive :-D in december