Old 26-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Cold

OK, I am ready to repot some Junipers and Boxwoods, but it is only F 49
(about 10 C) and windy at high noon yet. How do you folks up north do it? I try in
the garage with the door open for light and its just too cold. All is see
moving is a murder of crows
(Someone gave me a thermometer that sticks on the outside of the window and
reads in both C and F.)
The grandchildren have arrived to celebrate my 62nd birthday.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Alan Walker

Happy birthday, Billy! We're at 50 deg. F. at 11:00 a.m., but
after two successive nights down into the upper 20's, it feels
pretty good.
I don't think you'll get much sympathy from those in the
frozen north who had white Christmases (which will later turn to
slush). We'll just have to take comfort in knowing our cold won't
last as long as theirs.

Alan Walker

Old 26-12-2004, 05:32 PM
John Quinn

We have 4 inch (10 cm) icicles hanging from the trees today, but the
forecast predicts 75F (23-24C) next weekend! No wonder my trees are confused...

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Marty Haber

Yeah, Alan, what's all this talk about the sunny South?

OK, I am ready to repot some Junipers and Boxwoods, but it is
only F 49
(about 10 C) and windy at high noon yet. How do you folks up
north do it? I try in the garage with the door open for light
and it's just too cold. All is see moving is a murder of crows.
(Someone gave me a thermometer that sticks on the outside of the
window and reads in both C and F.)
The grandchildren have arrived to celebrate my 62nd birthday.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Kitsune Miko

It is 50 F and 10 C in zone 9, California, 10:30 am
and I just got up. A bit clouldy, plants are in bud.
I got to be a sub in a Kathy Shaner workshop tomorrow.
I have anealed my copper wire and chosen my plants,
found my wrist braces, and long underwear. We will be
outside in a garage for 3 hours.

I hope to come home with deeper understanding and a
couple of really nice trees.

The wrist braces are for osteoarthritis in both thumb
joints. I am considering surgery. Anyone here had
the experience??

Kits

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Alan Walker

It's all relative, Marty. We currently have cloudless blue skies
and a temperature of 62 deg. F. No jacket needed today. That's
about as close to perfect as possible.

Alan Walker

Old 26-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Steve Parr

Hello All,

I have to comment on this thread, since I have just started recieving
readings from my new
"toy", a new RF temp/rH weather center with 2 remote transponders.

Inside: 72.3° F, 29% rH
Unheated garage: 34.7° F, 27% rH
Basement: 68.5° F, 39% rH
Outside: ~20° F, 10" of snow

Perfectly blue skies here, no clouds. Can't say that I really need a jacket,
sweatshirt maybe.

Old 26-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Iris Cohen

I am ready to repot some Junipers and Boxwoods, but it is only F 49 (about
10 C) and windy at high noon yet. How do you folks up north do it?

I have a basement. Short of moving north so you can also have one, I suggest
you use your kitchen, being careful not to clog the sink drain.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen