Old 13-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Theo

Default ammonium sulphate

Hi
I was reading in Naka that Ammonuim sulphate can be given sparingly to
pines when they have a yellowish tint of teh needles..
my pentaphilla is always as such in this period of the year
what could I do to prevent that and when is teh best time and
quantitioes to be given or if exists something less *chemical *
producing the same effect
Thanks
--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 13-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Jim Lewis

On 13 Jan 2005 at 12:00, Theo wrote:

Hi
I was reading in Naka that Ammonuim sulphate can be given sparingly to
pines when they have a yellowish tint of teh needles..
my pentaphilla is always as such in this period of the year
what could I do to prevent that and when is teh best time and
quantitioes to be given or if exists something less *chemical *
producing the same effect

If the tree "always" is like this in winter, that probably means
that's how it is supposed to be. I don't think I'd doctor it
with anything if the tree is otherwise healthy.

Even the pines in my pasture (P. taeda) always look a little
dull in winter. I think that's what passes for dropping leaves.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Theo

HI Jim

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 13 Jan 2005 at 12:00, Theo wrote:

Hi
I was reading in Naka that Ammonuim sulphate can be given sparingly to
pines when they have a yellowish tint of teh needles..
my pentaphilla is always as such in this period of the year
what could I do to prevent that and when is teh best time and
quantitioes to be given or if exists something less *chemical *
producing the same effect

yes I have since 1987 and is always like this I know that exist
different varieties of color in Pentaphilla needles , but I often see
them in review with a stronger deep green color.. so I was wonderning
how to enhance it and if it was possible an d ask advice before making
a predicament

If the tree "always" is like this in winter, that probably means
that's how it is supposed to be. I don't think I'd doctor it
with anything if the tree is otherwise healthy.

it has a lot of sun maybe a little too much pollution has been
repotted 2 years ago followin Michael Persiano advices

Even the pines in my pasture (P. taeda) always look a little
dull in winter. I think that's what passes for dropping leaves.
;-)

might be
but in the competitions or pictures they look so wildly strong green
that makes me jalous :-D

I have 3 penta and all look teh same even if are different varieties

Old 13-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Alan Walker

Just curious, but what makes ammonium sulfate any more or less
"chemical" than any other nutrient/fertilizer you use for your
bonsai?

Alan Walker

*
[...]

Just for today... don't worry .....be happy

***************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++
***************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 13-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 13 Jan 2005 at 12:00, Theo wrote:

Hi
I was reading in Naka that Ammonuim sulphate can be given sparingly to
pines when they have a yellowish tint of teh needles..
my pentaphilla is always as such in this period of the year
what could I do to prevent that and when is teh best time and
quantitioes to be given or if exists something less *chemical *
producing the same effect

If the tree "always" is like this in winter, that probably means
that's how it is supposed to be. I don't think I'd doctor it
with anything if the tree is otherwise healthy.

Even the pines in my pasture (P. taeda) always look a little
dull in winter. I think that's what passes for dropping leaves.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Ditto. The pines in my area (mostly P. strobus, Eastern White Pine) always dull in
color in the winter. From what I've seen most needle evergreens (most broadleaf
evergreens too, for that mater) turn dull in winter.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 13-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Jim Lewis

On 13 Jan 2005 at 17:46, Theo wrote:
but in the competitions or pictures they look so wildly strong green
that makes me jalous :-D

I don't know about the competitions, but these days you do not
dare accept what you see in a photographs. And color is the
simplest things to change.

The old saying that a "photograph cannot lie" is NOT true any
more.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Old 13-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

On 13 Jan 2005 at 17:46, Theo wrote:

but in the competitions or pictures they look so wildly strong green
that makes me jalous :-D

I don't know about the competitions, but these days you do not
dare accept what you see in a photographs. And color is the
simplest things to change.

ThAt's right !moreover exist blue green pentaphilla green yellowish
pentaphilla and others but in teh pictures all look so vigorous and
green .. of course one makes the picts when the tree is in his best look

The old saying that a "photograph cannot lie" is NOT true any
more.

yes but the neighbour's grass is greener still does :-D

I will probably soon post some detailed pics to see if I could have
some information about his age ,In the tag when I bought it was said
1965 but seing the neabari roots looking like an octopus.. I guess must
be older

I checked in several books on apparently should be , it is in my
possession since 87
cheers

Old 13-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

[...]

Question for Ammonium Sulphate users Dan S. MacAbre United Kingdom 14 16-04-2016 10:38 PM
Ammonium Suphamate Bob Minchin United Kingdom 6 12-04-2009 07:24 PM
[IBC] ammonium sulphate Michael Persiano Bonsai 17 02-09-2005 02:35 PM
ammonium sulphate Theo Bonsai 0 13-01-2005 11:00 AM
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate Cdonahey41 Edible Gardening 2 27-01-2003 02:05 AM