Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ammonium Suphamate

If anyone has been searching for this chemical which is the active
ingredient in "ivy Killer" and "Root Out". It can still be bought on
ebay in either 2lb or 5lb quantities. Just search for "ammonium sulphamate"
Of course you must not use it as a herbicide according to Nanny EU but
still OK to use as a composting accelerator as long as you are careful
not spill any on any unwanted ivy, horsetail or tree stumps on your way
between shed and compost heap.

Usual disclaimer: No commercial connection with the seller apart from as
a satisfied customer.

Bob
Old 10-04-2009, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ammonium Sulphamate

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:35:51 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

If anyone has been searching for this chemical which is the active
ingredient in "ivy Killer" and "Root Out". It can still be bought on
ebay in either 2lb or 5lb quantities.

You might find the anti terror squad showing interest in your purchase.

LOL I think Ammonium Nitrate goes off even better if I recall my school
boy chemistry correctly!
Bob
Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

If anyone has been searching for this chemical which is the active
ingredient in "ivy Killer" and "Root Out". It can still be bought on
ebay in either 2lb or 5lb quantities. Just search for "ammonium sulphamate"
Of course you must not use it as a herbicide according to Nanny EU but
still OK to use as a composting accelerator as long as you are careful
not spill any on any unwanted ivy, horsetail or tree stumps on your way
between shed and compost heap.

Usual disclaimer: No commercial connection with the seller apart from as
a satisfied customer.

Bob, am I understand from your post that those two products are being
withdrawn for garden use? If so, I didn't know; thanks for the
notification. BTW, does adding it to the compost heap do anything more
than provide nitrogen, e.g. does it kill weed seeds? I ask because my
heap is always full of them and doesn't get hot enough to kill them.
Having said that, I've just given it a very generous watering with
Sulphate of Ammonia to accelerate things a bit, so it'll probably go
off like a volcano in the next few days!

Hi Chris,
Yes, use of ammonium sulphamate as a herbicide was banned by the EU
sometime in May 2008. It can still be used as a compost accelerator and
a flame retardant.

There has been some debate regarding the toxicity of AS compared to
Glyphosate and suggestions that manufacturers of the latter might well
have lobbied hard to get AS banned. Who knows?

I could not possibly suggest that you do anything in contravention of EU
rules naturally!

The Ebay vendor includes instructions on its use as a herbicide but
declares that these are out of date and that the product should be used
as an accelerator only. They also sell direct via their website
http://www.garden-products.info/

I don't think AS will kill weed seeds directly but by adding nitrogen,
the heap may heat up enough to do this.
AS is not cheap and there are possibly cheaper ways of adding nitrogen
such as the NH4SO4 you are using. Other posters here advocate urine
being ideal for composting.

HTH

Bob

[IBC] ammonium sulphate Michael Persiano Bonsai 17 02-09-2005 02:35 PM
Ammonium nitrate Curtis Frazier Lawns 8 17-03-2005 05:52 PM
ammonium sulphate Theo Bonsai 14 13-01-2005 09:47 PM
ammonium nitrate wanted Jean Edible Gardening 9 24-04-2004 10:15 AM
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate Cdonahey41 Edible Gardening 2 27-01-2003 02:05 AM