Old 21-01-2005, 02:30 PM

Default [IBC] "Harry and David Floral Gifts - Bonsai Juniper"

Click He Check out "Harry and David Floral Gifts - Bonsai Juniper"
http://www.harryanddavid.com/cgi-bin...y?cgmenbr=201&
cgrfnbr=4
You'll be sorry you asked.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Pauline Muth

But they do add one of those lovely and required "bonsai rocks" )
At least some people become interested this way (or totally discouraged)
We are never going to stop this type of trade ...what we need to do is
continue to get knowledgebale people out there teaching the public.
Pauline F Muth Zone 4 West Charlton NY USA
www.pfmbonsai.com

Old 21-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jan 21, 2005, at 9:30 AM, wrote:

Click He Check out "Harry and David Floral Gifts - Bonsai Juniper"
http://www.harryanddavid.com/cgi-bin...tegoryDisplay?
cgmenbr=201&
cgrfnbr=4
You'll be sorry you asked.
Iris

Garden variety mallsai. I've seen worse.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Pauline Muth

Great...I did see this in your last newsletter....hopefully all clubs are
doing this
Pauline

Old 21-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Jim Lewis

On 21 Jan 2005 at 9:45, Craig Cowing wrote:

On Jan 21, 2005, at 9:30 AM, wrote:

Click He Check out "Harry and David Floral Gifts - Bonsai Juniper"
http://www.harryanddavid.com/cgi-bin...tegoryDisplay?
cgmenbr=201&
cgrfnbr=4
You'll be sorry you asked.
Iris

Garden variety mallsai. I've seen worse.

Yeah, but remember, what you see (on the web site) ain't
necessarily what you get (delivered).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 21-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jan 21, 2005, at 9:30 AM, wrote:

Click He Check out "Harry and David Floral Gifts - Bonsai Juniper"
http://www.harryanddavid.com/cgi-bin...tegoryDisplay?
cgmenbr=201&
cgrfnbr=4
You'll be sorry you asked.
Iris

Garden variety mallsai. I've seen worse.

Yeah, but remember, what you see (on the web site) ain't
necessarily what you get (delivered).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Really? ;0)

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 21-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Jim Lewis

writes:
what we need to do is continue to get knowledgeable people out there
teaching the public.

That is what I am doing next week. See item from our newsletter:
FREE CLINIC

For anyone who received a bonsai or a bonsai kit for the holidays, or
any
other new bonsai owners, there will be a free clinic at Pitcher Hill
Community
Church on Thursday, January 27, at 7:30 PM.
Tell your new bonsai friends to bring their gift trees with them, and
our
experienced members will show them what to do next. Please post the
enclosed
flier in your nearest garden store. Any BKCNY members who would like
to help, call
Iris at 461-9226.

Great idea Iris. I'm going to be giving a talk/demo at our local
public library in May and I'll add this to the program. Maybe it would
encourage those who just don't know what to do.

All known Christmas mallsai will be dead by May. :-/

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

Old 21-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jan 21, 2005, at 10:50 AM, Jim Lewis wrote:

snip

Tell your new bonsai friends to bring their gift trees with them, and
our
experienced members will show them what to do next. Please post the
enclosed
flier in your nearest garden store. Any BKCNY members who would like
to help, call
Iris at 461-9226.

Great idea Iris. I'm going to be giving a talk/demo at our local
public library in May and I'll add this to the program. Maybe it
would
encourage those who just don't know what to do.

All known Christmas mallsai will be dead by May. :-/

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

Very true, but it's just before Father's Day, and that is probably
another day I'm guessing that people might buy Dad a cool bonsai to put
on top of his computer at the office.

Old 22-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jan 22, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Nina wrote:

Craig Cowing wrote:
Garden variety mallsai. I've seen worse.

No you haven't. When I began to harass this poor man, he said "You
must be referring to the Harry and David Grapevine bonsai". I said
"Those things are the bane of my existence!!!!!" (Loudly. Causing
people to stare.).

Oh Nina. Making a scene! ;0)

I get a lot of "Bonsai Doctor" queries about Harry and David grapevine
bonsai. What especially steams me is that the solution to the problem-
putting the bonsai outdoors- is impossible for the type of person who
buys a bonsai from a food catalog (the Jackson and Perkins guy, to try
to mitigate the damage, explained to me "Harry and David don't know a
lot about plants. They're really food people."). These are people who
live in apartments or who can't be expected to water something twice a
day. And when I explain that grapes need a cold dormant period and
won't produce fruit unless they are pollinated, it's clear that the
bonsai is going to end up in the trash. So I dislike Harry and David
more than someone like "Bonsai Boy"
Nina. Back from CA, only to find a blizzard raging here.

Ok. I take it back. I'd never heard of the people, but then again, I
don't buy my groceries over the Internet.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Tex John

"Jim Lewis" wrote ...
All known Christmas mallsai will be dead by May. :-/

Ah, jeez, thanks Jim!

I know this of course, NOW! And have for years.

But I've always felt bad that the first bonsai I cared for was a mallsai of
my roommate after he transferred and took two years of classes out of state
and I killed his juniper off in less than a month after he left.

Of course, it was inside. In the kitchen windowsill. And was probably dead
before he left.

I do much better now that I have a yard and keep everything outside (shoot,
it got down to 32 F last night and I didn't even bother bringing in all my
Ficus benjiminas!) but I've felt bad about that for twelve years! Shoulda
made that connection years ago :)

Guess I ought to find him and send him one of my Ficus...just in case he
does still live in an apartment.

John
Houston