Old 05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Buttonwood Article

An earlier post mentioned the very complete article on Buttonwoods in the
current BSF Journal.

One exception I would like to note.

The article encourages a soil with limerock or oyster shell. This came up
for discussion on the list once before, citing Mary Madison, the "Buttonwood
Queen," as the source.

Having visited Mary and purchased trees from her, I asked about this. Her
reply was something like, "I use to say that."

My Buttonwood soil is Metro Mix 500, a peat/coir based commercial mix. I
find they do much better in this than in the traditional well drained bonsai mix.

I found the pruning information most useful.

Mike Cartrett of south Florida has a great presentation on Buttonwoods. Mike
makes the point that there seem to be a number of leaf forms among
Buttonwoods and some adapt to Bonsai culture better than others.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Iris Cohen

My Buttonwood soil is Metro Mix 500, a peat/coir based commercial mix. I
find they do much better in this than in the traditional well drained bonsai
mix.

That may be true in Florida. I think I killed 2 buttonwoods (ouch!) by using an
overabsorbent so-called tropical mix. My first buttonwood did fine in a more
open bonsai mix until it was stolen.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen