GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Admin - R.A.B. - Long (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/90233-%5Bibc%5D-admin-r-b-long.html)

Ante Busko 25-02-2005 08:18 PM

Its like a car case, it's stupid but we are drawn to it and could watch it
for the entire time it's on TV.

Haaa

~Tony
HB,CA

Ante Busko 25-02-2005 08:18 PM

I don't mind deleting the off topics...just takes an extra second or two,
depending on how many there are. Have a happy weekend!

Tony
Huntington Beach,CA

Nicolas Steenhout 25-02-2005 08:35 PM

As with many, I'm quite skilled in the use of my delete button, and I use
mailwasher to preview mail before downloading it to my machine. Trolls and
spammers happen, and while i wish they didn't, well, they do.

I have long thought that being joined at the hip with RAB was botha blessing
and a curse. We really have no way to determine the impact. There's a lot
of good (people joinign the list ebcause they found the group, people
participating only in the group because they don't want to join yet another
mailing list), and there's a lot of bad.

Perhaps a big part of the problem, and that's where *we* are guilty, is that
we respond to spammers and trolls. It's been said often enough, ignore
them. As tempting as it is, we shouldn't rise up to the bait. But we do.
Inevitably. What gets trolls going is that they get a response. If they
don't, they get bored and go away.

They would be amused by this thread I would imagine, they managed to cause a
lot of consternation.

I can keep it or leave it, RAB. But my inclination would be to let the
kiddies do their thing and ignore them...

Nic

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Shelly Hurd 25-02-2005 08:52 PM

Group,

Keep the posts coming, I'm also receiving private messages, but I prefer
those everyone can see.

Most of you have remembered to SNIP my lengthly post, so I say thank you.
Please DO remember to SNIP unnecessary portions when you reply.

This is MORE about our ARCHIVE space (which we PAY for) than it is about the
spammers. I too use my delete key with wreckless abandon.

Regards,

Henrik Gistvall 25-02-2005 10:09 PM

The big problem is not spammers or off topic mails, we will always have
them. The problem is that otherwise serious members responding to these
off topic/spam mails on the list. Feel free to discuss whatever, but do
it off list.

I dont think any of Shellys suggestions cure this problem. This is each
and everyones resposibility, what type off list do we want. I would be
interesting to hear what you want. That way I (and others) can make up
my mind if this is the list for me. Right now itīs not.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Roger Snipes 25-02-2005 10:43 PM

I pretty much agree with most of what Nic and others have said, RAB can be a
pain at times, but deleting the spam and troll messages is no big deal. We
aren't really inundated with the stuff, it seems to come and go in spurts.
The big thing is to not respond to it, just delete it.

The list traffic has slowed to a virtual trickle compared to what it used to
be six or eight years ago; if we cut RAB loose it may drop even further. I
originally found the list through RAB, although I may have found it without
RAB anyway, and I know that there used to be, and maybe still are, some
regular contributors who read and post through RAB.

Regards,
Roger Snipes

Jim Lewis 25-02-2005 10:58 PM

On 25 Feb 2005 at 23:14, Henrik Gistvall wrote:

I dont think any of Shellys suggestions cure this problem.

Not so. The mailing list administrator has 100% control over
what gets on or doesn't get on the list -- if he wants to use
it. He can moderate everyone, approving what they send before
it appears on the list, or just some folks. He can prohibit any
individual from posting to the list.

LSoft filters spam from the mailing list (but can't tell RAB
spam from legit RAB messages). It can do (or at least does)
nothing about trolls and troublemakers on RAB.

The List administrator has limited control over users of RAB.
He can keep certain RAB users' messages from appearing on the
list, but cannot control what they put on RAB.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - List
manager emeritus

Jim Lewis 25-02-2005 10:59 PM

5) Make RAB a moderated newsgroup. It would take a lot of time & effort to
make this change, as the RFD/CFV process takes a minimum of 2 months, but
it could be well worth it.

Wayne,

What's the process? Who'd do it? Sent To whom? How? _I_'d be
willing to consider doing it.

Jim Lewis - - Hit THINK before you hit SEND

Michael Cameron 26-02-2005 12:29 AM

I have posted occasionally to the IBC galleries, and slightly more often to
rec.arts.bonsai

I'm not subscribed to the IBC mailing list, so I only access the content of
r.a.b via a newsgroup reader - this allows me to simply skip the material
(both real bonsai content that I'm not interested in, and the 'garbage'
Shelly spoke of). I think both provide a good forum for sharing
information and ideas. Personally people have been very kind and helpful
when I've posted. I would like to continue to have this resource (r.a.b)
available to me in the future.

--
Michael Cameron

Alliston, Ontario, Canada

Bill Neff 26-02-2005 01:03 AM

I'd vote to leave it the way it is. I get more spam in my email account at
work than I get through this list. I don't remember how I found the list but
I think it was through RAB. The concern I have about severing the link is
the potential for becoming more of an "elite group of bonsai snobs" (as I've
heard the list called) than we are now (No I'm not saying we are - just
repeating a perception). When a discussion becomes argumenative or tedious I just
start deleting posts.

Bill Neff

Nina 26-02-2005 01:15 AM

Every once in a while I consider joining another group; I listen to the
other group (Jazz, art, whatever) for a while and realize how GREAT
this group is- we are literate, we stay on topic, and we are nice. Our
problems with spammers and idiots are minor.

I like the community of my dear friends on the maillist, but I'd like
to reach out to newbies and lurkers on RAB without having to hang out
there. My time is limited and I have a dial-up connection!

Nina

Bonsai lurker 26-02-2005 01:25 AM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:01:32 +0100, Eltee wrote:

Your isp can ban people from inappropriate posting on USENET, if, the
group is classified as a moderated group. I don't know if this one is
but surely one of the mods knows.

If it is moderated, you can then report the spammers for posting off
topic and harrassing posts. The reputable ones, especially the large
USENET providers will warn their customers.

Not 100% effective but it deters most nuisance posters.

That's not spam you're dealing with, Carl. There's a big difference. And your
ISP knows it. Besides, your ISP can't ban anybody from posting to Usenet NGs.
Usenet is a distributed network. It would take _all_ the ISPs (in the world!) to
completely ban somebody.

Wayne C. Morris 26-02-2005 01:29 AM

In article 421F644D.15746.54FF1F@localhost,
(Jim Lewis) wrote:

5) Make RAB a moderated newsgroup. It would take a lot of time & effort to
make this change, as the RFD/CFV process takes a minimum of 2 months, but
it could be well worth it.

Wayne,

What's the process? Who'd do it? Sent To whom? How? _I_'d be
willing to consider doing it.

I'm not terribly familiar with the process, but I dug up a few links to get
you started...

This page describes the process:

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/big-eight.html

Here's a handbook for would-be moderators:

http://www.landfield.com/usenet/moderators/handbook/

Here's a FAQ:

http://www.swcp.com/~dmckeon/mod-faq.html

And here's a page describing some of the problems & pitfalls:

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/mod-pitfalls.html

Jim Lewis 26-02-2005 02:35 AM

On 25 Feb 2005 at 19:29, Michael Cameron wrote:

I have posted occasionally to the IBC galleries, and slightly more often to
rec.arts.bonsai

I'm not subscribed to the IBC mailing list, so I only access the content of
r.a.b via a newsgroup reader - this allows me to simply skip the material
(both real bonsai content that I'm not interested in, and the 'garbage'
Shelly spoke of). I think both provide a good forum for sharing
information and ideas. Personally people have been very kind and helpful
when I've posted. I would like to continue to have this resource (r.a.b)
available to me in the future.

--

No matter which option Shelly ends up implementing, you will NOT
be deprived of rec.arts.bonsai.

members whose messages also go to RAB -- just as RAB messages
come to the list.

I'd estimate that you'd cut the kind and helpful folks by about
1/2 to 2/3.