Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Nina

Default miscell. Flower show and Pemphis

1)The Flower show was OK- most of the vendors were mallsai dealers,
however. I saw an orchid grower refuse to sell a plant to someone
because he didn't think the person could give it the right care; I
don't think the mallsai dealers would have refused anyone. I think real
bonsai nurseries need some kind of certificate ("Bonsai Sellers
Association of America Certificate of Expertise") that could be
displayed at shows, just to give consumers a hint that not all dealers
are the same quality. I got the impression, from the 15 minutes I hung
out at the Rosade exhibit, that the staff there were working overtime
stamping out misinformation.

2) I've never heard of this "fast aging" bonsai stuff, and *still*
haven't, since the website gave no indication of what was in it. No
doubt a mallsai vendor at the show was selling it or something similar.

3)Dale, you know what you can do with your black squirrel.

4) Someone in the Philippines just asked me for care instructions for
Pemphis acidula, a mangrove species. I know absolutely nothing about
them. Anyone know a Philippines bonsai club I can send him to?

5)I picked up one of those begonias that make thick trunks and are used
as "bonsai". It's pretty cool. People who will want cuttings from
mine [*cough*Anita*cough*]better start being nice to me starting now.