Old 11-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Nina

Default miscell. Flower show and Pemphis

1)The Flower show was OK- most of the vendors were mallsai dealers,
however. I saw an orchid grower refuse to sell a plant to someone
because he didn't think the person could give it the right care; I
don't think the mallsai dealers would have refused anyone. I think real
bonsai nurseries need some kind of certificate ("Bonsai Sellers
Association of America Certificate of Expertise") that could be
displayed at shows, just to give consumers a hint that not all dealers
are the same quality. I got the impression, from the 15 minutes I hung
out at the Rosade exhibit, that the staff there were working overtime
stamping out misinformation.

2) I've never heard of this "fast aging" bonsai stuff, and *still*
haven't, since the website gave no indication of what was in it. No
doubt a mallsai vendor at the show was selling it or something similar.

3)Dale, you know what you can do with your black squirrel.

4) Someone in the Philippines just asked me for care instructions for
Pemphis acidula, a mangrove species. I know absolutely nothing about
them. Anyone know a Philippines bonsai club I can send him to?

5)I picked up one of those begonias that make thick trunks and are used
as "bonsai". It's pretty cool. People who will want cuttings from
mine [*cough*Anita*cough*]better start being nice to me starting now.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Craig Cowing

On Mar 11, 2005, at 8:39 AM, Nina wrote:

1)The Flower show was OK- most of the vendors were mallsai dealers,
however.

Yep. I saw a Kingsville boxwood the same size as one of mine, and
looking just as good, priced at $1000. $200-300, sure. Not that much
though.
snip
I got the impression, from the 15 minutes I hung
out at the Rosade exhibit, that the staff there were working overtime
stamping out misinformation.

We didn't have much interaction with the staff except for a
conversation with Chase Rosade and a brief disagreement with one staff
person about whether or not you can wire succulents. He said no, I
said yes. Can't comment on the rest.

snip

4) Someone in the Philippines just asked me for care instructions for
Pemphis acidula, a mangrove species. I know absolutely nothing about
them. Anyone know a Philippines bonsai club I can send him to?

Budi is the man. Also Robert Steven.

5)I picked up one of those begonias that make thick trunks and are used
as "bonsai". It's pretty cool. People who will want cuttings from
mine [*cough*Anita*cough*]better start being nice to me starting now.

I want one too!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Alan Walker

As Craig mentioned Budi Sulistyo or Robert Steven can
give great care instructions for Pemphis acidula. They are from
Indonesia, however. For The Philippines, however, there are
several persons you can refer them to, but none are active on
this list or the gallery. Willi Hahn is the president of the
Philippine Bonsai Society, but the contact person listed on the
BCI site is Poncevic (Vic) M. Ceballos, 124 Bayanihan St, Baesa,
Caloocan City, Philippines. Tel/Fax - +363-6977 or +924-4750;
E-mail: . Feli Gupta, the past president is
knowledgeable as well, but I'll only give out the contact
information above as it is already approved for public release.
That said, Budi gave me some care information about
Pemphis, to wit:
Pemphis is a swamp area plant close to the sea. It used to get
shower of the salt water from the sea. One tea spoon of table
salt in one litre of water once in a week will help the growth of
the plant. You can spray it on the leaves as well as on the
bonsai mixed. Please read the pemphis article written by a
Taiwanese some months ago. Salt will help it especially in the
cold climate.
Alan Walker

Old 11-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Jim Lewis

On 11 Mar 2005 at 10:37, Craig Cowing wrote:
5)I picked up one of those begonias that make thick trunks and are used
as "bonsai". It's pretty cool. People who will want cuttings from
mine [*cough*Anita*cough*]better start being nice to me starting now.

I want one too!

Then you have to be nice to her. I don't (squared). ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Hit THINK before you hit SEND

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Rene M

"Please read the pemphis article written by a
Taiwanese some months ago. Salt will help it especially in the
cold climate.
Alan Walker"

I've tried searching it on site but can't find. Please help. Thanks
ReneM

Old 12-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Alan Walker

I believe the article cited is in BCI's BONSAI Magazine. It is
not published on the internet.

Alan Walker