Old 01-04-2005, 03:56 AM

Default [IBC] Another ID Crisis

I bought a plant at a local nursery labeled Cupressus sempervirens. It is
bluish and has a fanatically fastigiate growth habit. However, when I got a close
look, it has almost all needles and looks like a juniper. At first I thought
it might be a juvenile, but it is 18 inches tall and no baby seedling. I had a
C. s. 'Swane's Golden,' and it had all scales from day one.
This thing reminds me of J. scopulorum 'Blue Spire,' but it's hard to tell
from pictures on the Web. Of course it is not going to oblige me by producing
cones in March. It is not J. communis. The needles are much shorter. It has been
happily growing under lights for the past couple months, but I don't know
what that proves.
Any idea what I've got?
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Steven Wachs

I do not wish to confuse the issue. Could it be a Chamaecyparis ? Bright
green dense scale type growth? There is a variety C. Psifera Cupressaceae

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 02-04-2005, 04:26 AM

I keyed it out in Hillier's Manual. It is a certain juniper. I didn't copy
down the name, but I can find it again when I take it back to the nursery.
Apparently Cupressus do not have juvenile needles except when they are
babies. This has needles of various sizes, but completely lacks the appressed scales
and ropy twigs of Cypress.