Old 21-06-2003, 07:08 PM
TheKeith

Default PICS OF: Tree-Cutting Crisis with my neighbor

http://www.kworks.us/tree

Old 21-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Dave Fouchey

Why didn't the moron just notch the fencing around the root?

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:07:44 -0400, "TheKeith" wrote:

http://www.kworks.us/tree

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern
Old 21-06-2003, 09:08 PM
TheKeith

"Dave Fouchey" wrote in message
Why didn't the moron just notch the fencing around the root?

thank you. We discussed altrnatives with them, even offering to pay for any
modifications to the fence, but as far as they are concerned, they've made
enough accommodations for our tree since they cannot grow tomatoes (that is
what they said), which they should've known before buying the property. I'm
telling you--they are completely unwilling to make any changes to their
fence, because they hate our tree.

Old 22-06-2003, 01:08 PM
MacTech

http://www.kworks.us/tree

Write up an agreement that says that if the tree dies the neighbor
will pay for the removal and replacement with another of the same
species that is 10 - 15 feet in height. And get him/her/them to sign
it. Or - when the tree dies - there's always small claims court. Put a
clause in the contract that says they are responsible even if they
move away. I say 10-15 feet because you'll want shade right away for
your side.

Good luck - the neighbor was making nice improvements with a good
quality fence and new gravel walkway, and now....

Randy

Share the View.
http://ruralroute2.com
Old 22-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"TheKeith" wrote:

We discussed altrnatives with them, even offering to pay for any
modifications to the fence, but as far as they are concerned, they've made
enough accommodations for our tree since they cannot grow tomatoes (that is
what they said), which they should've known before buying the property. I'm
telling you--they are completely unwilling to make any changes to their
fence, because they hate our tree.

Hmmmm ... they expected to plant tomatoes in that narrow side
yard under a tree?

The usual fence-builder technique is to notch the panel.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

Old 22-06-2003, 03:20 PM
MargieKay

That's it? That's all they cut, and that's what you are upset about?

Of course, they could have tried to notched the fence to go above the tree
root that is encroaching on their property. But, what they did seems to be
reasonable to me -- they only cut out a small part notch and left the rest
to preserve the stability of the tree, etc. At what point would it be okay
with you if they cut the tree root that is growing into their property -- at
the point where it grows into the foundation of their property. Why didn't
you cut back the surface roots that were growing into their property when
the tree was smaller to prevent this encroachment problem?

They are obviously making quality improvements to their property and are
putting up a high quality fence that looks good and is not inexpensive.

Having you as a neighbor, I am not surprised that they want a fence.

this is just my opinion from what you've written and the pictures that you
posted. I don't know you or your neighbor, so I can't really tell who is
being the most ridiculous in this situation. But, you did ask for opinions
and feedback, and this is my opinion and feedback.

"TheKeith" wrote in message
http://www.kworks.us/tree

Old 22-06-2003, 05:32 PM
TheKeith

actually those aren't exactly surface roots--tehy dug their backyard deeper
which is what exposed that big root (it used to be completely buried). I
don't think they should have touched the tree at all, particularly not a
major supportive root, which by the way, they want to completely eliminate.I
posted the pictures more to show the situation than the damage that already
occurred which it's obvious is worse than the pics convey, since a certified
arborist referred to the current damage as severe.

"TheKeith" wrote in message
http://www.kworks.us/tree

Old 22-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Ann

"MargieKay" expounded:

That's it? That's all they cut, and that's what you are upset about?

Of course, they could have tried to notched the fence to go above the tree
root that is encroaching on their property. But, what they did seems to be
reasonable to me -- they only cut out a small part notch and left the rest
to preserve the stability of the tree, etc.

You didn't notice the cut roots? They knew when they moved in they
couldn't plant tomatoes under the tree.....they sound like the types
that move in and then demand everyone else comply with their wishes.
Shades of another thread...........

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 22-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Shepherd

"TheKeith" wrote in message
http://www.kworks.us/tree

Who's going to pay for the damage done to their roof that your tree will
cause. Or who is going to pay to have your tree trimmed to prevent the
overhanging limbs from damaging their roof?

Who's going to pay for the foundation damage done to their home by those
roots?

It seems to me that narrow space between your house and theirs is not wide
enough for a tree that will eventually reach the height and breadth yours
will. That is a maple tree, isn't it.

In my opinion, that tree should never have been planted there in the first
place.

Shepherd

Old 22-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

TheKeith wrote:

actually those aren't exactly surface roots--tehy dug their backyard deeper
which is what exposed that big root (it used to be completely buried). I
don't think they should have touched the tree at all, particularly not a
major supportive root, which by the way, they want to completely eliminate.I
posted the pictures more to show the situation than the damage that already
occurred which it's obvious is worse than the pics convey, since a certified
arborist referred to the current damage as severe.

Could be far worse. Can you bypass graft the notch with branches
cut from the same tree?

Old 22-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Stu Redman

Thank you. I'm glad somebody finally said this.

"TheKeith" wrote in message
http://www.kworks.us/tree

Old 22-06-2003, 10:44 PM
TheKeith

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in message
TheKeith wrote:

actually those aren't exactly surface roots--tehy dug their backyard

deeper
which is what exposed that big root (it used to be completely buried). I
don't think they should have touched the tree at all, particularly not a
major supportive root, which by the way, they want to completely

eliminate.I
posted the pictures more to show the situation than the damage that

already
occurred which it's obvious is worse than the pics convey, since a

certified
arborist referred to the current damage as severe.

Could be far worse. Can you bypass graft the notch with branches
cut from the same tree?

I'm not sure about that--I'll have to ask the arborist. He did have some
other recommendations:

"soil injection of the entire root zone with Biopack Plus (or similar
mycorrhizal/slow release fertilizer combo pack) at the rate of 11lb/100gal.
that should be performed in fall of this year. This treatment should
stimulate fobrous root growth, improve nutrient uptake, and increase
resistance to secondary pests and diseases."

....he also recommended the removal of about "10-15% of branches under 4" in
diameter to reduce the canopy spread and lessen the wind sail effect."

Old 22-06-2003, 10:56 PM
TheKeith

"MargieKay" wrote in message
[...]

I respect your opinion of course. Actually there won't be any foundation
damage to the homes as the tree is pretty far from the actual houses. What
you see in those pics are garages and they don't have much of a foundation.
If we were liable for any damage resulting from the tree falling--of course
we would then pay (if the roots hadn't been cut that is), but as we see it
as well as the two neighbors in back of us (who share the same patch of
garden) that tree is an asset and for all we know, increases our property
value (I realize we'll have to have the property appraised to be sure
though).

Old 23-06-2003, 09:32 PM

no kidding. what a bunch of assholes to whack away at tree roots to get the fence to
"fit". Ingrid

Dave Fouchey wrote:
Why didn't the moron just notch the fencing around the root?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 23-06-2003, 09:32 PM

It looks highly unlikely they would be able to grow tomatoes anyway. anybody that
stupid wouldnt think maybe a big container in the front or in the sun would do just
as well. sheesh. Ingrid

"TheKeith" wrote:
since they cannot grow tomatoes (that is
what they said), which they should've known before buying the property. I'm
telling you--they are completely unwilling to make any changes to their
fence, because they hate our tree.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List