Old 10-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Ulrike Bauer

Default [IBC] Digging a big juniper

Dear all,

hi, I'm back from lurk mode for a short question. I have been able to collect a large juniper that would otherwise have been cut to the ground. I know that it's not an ideal time for this (mid-spring, but actually quite cold for the time). I tried to get as much fine root as possible, but it was not really a lot. It sits now in fast-draining soil with sphagnum moss in total shade in my garden.
I have not experience with junipers whatsoever. Do I cut the foliage way back, or isn't that necessary?
Thanks for your help

Ulrike Bauer
South Germany, zone 7b

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 10-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Dear all,

hi, I'm back from lurk mode for a short question. I have been
able to collect a large juniper that would otherwise have
been cut to the ground. I know that it's not an ideal time
for this (mid-spring, but actually quite cold for the time).
I tried to get as much fine root as possible, but it was not
really a lot. It sits now in fast-draining soil with sphagnum
moss in total shade in my garden. I have not experience with
junipers whatsoever. Do I cut the foliage way back, or isn't
that necessary? Thanks for your help

If it is very bushy, yes I would cut away quite a bit of
foliage. Sight unseen, we can't say how much, but you do not
want the trees to transpire more water than the roots can take
in. Think of it as a lifesaving design project. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the berries
are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Shelly Hurd

Ulrike,

You may need to cut back --some or much-- of the foliage, but you must use
caution. Any branch that all of the foliage is removed, is now a dead
branch. If you remove too much of the greenery the entire plant will fail.
Add to that that the large roots are quite zonal, and more problems arise.
For example, if you've had to cut a major root on the east side of the
plant, the branching above that root may die because those branches were
supported by that root growth.
Good luck,
Shelly Hurd - Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9