Old 12-04-2005, 03:26 AM

Default [IBC] Bonsai in the Austin, TX area?

I will be visiting in the Austin, TX area for about 10 days starting May 5.
Last year when I was there I was fortunate to be able to visit a bonsai show
Zilker Park (Barton Springs) which was excellent. Does anyone have
information regarding any events or bonsai nurseries in that area?
Thanks,
Carol in Florida

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Jim Trahan

Carol,

I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our club's show. I am the show
director this year, my first time, and hope to make it as good or better
than last year. It doesn't sound like you can make it this year but the
show will be May 21st and 22nd from 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM.

There are plenty of other bonsai items of intrest in Austin and Central
Texas. We have 4 bonsai nurseries in and around town. These are Bonsai
Exotica, Jade Gardens, MBP Bonsai, and Persimmon Hill Bonsai. All of them
are top quality boinsai nurseries, and all four seem to have they're own
niche... from recently imported Japanese bonsai to shohin to native plants
you'll find no where else but Texas. (Texas persimmon is a good one to
look out for!)

Austin also has a Japanese garden designed by Isamu Taniguchi. This is in
Zilker park, so you may have already seen it.

The Central Texas Bonsai Exhibit is very near Austin in Wemberly, hosted by
Jade Gardens: http://www.wimberley-tx.com/~bonsaijg

Our club meets at Zilker Park, Wednesday, May 11th at 7:00 PM. We will be
having a guest speaker, Marty Klajnowski, give a lecture on preparing for a
show.

Warm regards,
Jim