Old 25-07-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Where can we sell organic pumpkins in the Austin area?

My grandson (9) and I (?) managed to grow at least two pickup truck
loads of organic (no insecticide) pumpkins. Now "he" needs to sell
them. So where does he go to sell his pumpkins? I think this would
be a great time to teach him how to be a "Middle Man". He could
broker grampa's pumpkins to someone that could resell them:-)
We are not agreeable to allowing him to sell them on the side of the road
- those times have long since gone. (BTW - the pumpkins grew like weeds! In
fact, they are a great weed competitor, as they choked out
every weed. They do, however need to be irrigated in the heat. The
pumpkin pies, etc., are awesome - but you can only eat so many.
We are going to pile up a bunch under heavy oak trees near the creek &
see if they make it to winter.)

Thanks,
Gene
in the metropolis of Briggs, TX

eMail:

Old 25-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Texensis

wrote in message
| My grandson (9) and I (?) managed to grow at least two pickup truck
| loads of organic (no insecticide) pumpkins. Now "he" needs to sell
| them. So where does he go to sell his pumpkins? I think this would
| be a great time to teach him how to be a "Middle Man". He could
| broker grampa's pumpkins to someone that could resell them:-)
| We are not agreeable to allowing him to sell them on the side of the
road
| - those times have long since gone. (BTW - the pumpkins grew like
weeds! In
| fact, they are a great weed competitor, as they choked out
| every weed. They do, however need to be irrigated in the heat. The
| pumpkin pies, etc., are awesome - but you can only eat so many.
| We are going to pile up a bunch under heavy oak trees near the creek
&
| see if they make it to winter.)
|
| Thanks,
| Gene
| in the metropolis of Briggs, TX
|
| eMail:

You might want to e-mail Tony Piccola (sp?) at South Austin Farmers'
Market (mostly organic growers). This market sets up to sell from 8 am
to 1 pm in the El Gallo parking lot, just across from the South
Congress entrance of St. Edward's University. It's very small and
congenial & this weekend at 10 am there'll be a brass quintet playing,
probably the Frontier.
Tony/South Austin Farmers' Market:

Old 25-07-2003, 04:42 PM

Great idea!

If anyone has his email address, please send it to me.
THANKS,

Gene

Old 25-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Rusty Mase

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:53:55 GMT, "Texensis"
wrote:

You might want to e-mail Tony Piccola (sp?) at South Austin Farmers'
Market (mostly organic growers).

The Westlake Farmers Market held on Saturdays about 9 am to early
afternoon looks like a drive-in and set up operation. It is held in
the Westlake High School parking lot on Westlake High Drive and looks
very informal. Somebody puts out signs so there must be some
organization somewhere. The road is one-way, though, and you have to
get on it from Loop 360.

Rusty Mase