Old 14-04-2005, 03:33 AM

Default [IBC] Mugo Pine

I have one of those miniature mugo pines, 'Slowmound.' I just repotted it, &
hope I don't kill this one. It is 8 inches tall in a 5.5 inch pot. I am
planning on having it grow another story on top this year. It looks good except for
one thing. There are several branches near the top & several more near the
bottom. There is a gap in the middle 3-4 inches without branches. (There was one,
but it died over the winter.) If I prune judiciously, ala Dan Barton, is
there any hope it will bud back on the trunk? Otherwise, what are my chances of
successfully grafting a branch on if I buy another baby 'Slowmound?'

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Based on the Mugos I have - several now - they all seem to bud back
really well on old wood. Location, is of course, hit or miss. I do
not, however, have much experience with a dwarf variety...I only have
one and this will be my first spring with it.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH

Old 14-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Carl Rosner

When it comes to Mugo pines, I can only think of Vance Wood known as the "Mugo man". I know he used to have a web site, but I lost that information when I up-graded (Ha! Ha!) my computer!

Maybe do a google search!

Good luck!

Carl L Rosner

I have one of those miniature mugo pines, 'Slowmound.' I just repotted
it, &
hope I don't kill this one. It is 8 inches tall in a 5.5 inch pot. I am
planning on having it grow another story on top this year. It looks good
except for
one thing. There are several branches near the top & several more near
the
bottom. There is a gap in the middle 3-4 inches without branches. (There
was one,
but it died over the winter.) If I prune judiciously, ala Dan Barton, is

there any hope it will bud back on the trunk? Otherwise, what are my
chances of
successfully grafting a branch on if I buy another baby 'Slowmound?'

Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

Old 14-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Bart Thomas

Vance Wood is active on the BonsaiTalk Forum.

You could send him a private message there.

Regards,

Bart

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-04-2005, 01:38 PM

In a message dated 4/19/05 12:13:40 AM, Billy writes:
Mugo Pine will not grow in Florida, but there is a great picture in
Yoshimura's books of him collecting one in the mountains of Japan.

That would be a remarkable feat, since the species is native to central &
southeastern Europe.
Iris

[IBC] Mugo Pine Ethan Smith Bonsai 3 08-06-2005 08:17 PM
[IBC] Mugo Pine Jerry Meislik Bonsai 19 02-10-2003 02:12 PM
[IBC] [Fwd: [IBC] Mugo Pine] Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 02-10-2003 01:22 AM
Mugo Pine Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 04-05-2003 05:20 AM
Mugo Pine Iris Cohen Bonsai 1 26-03-2003 07:33 PM