Old 08-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Ethan Smith

Default [IBC] Mugo Pine

Hi everyone, I'm still pretty new to Bonsai, and I have some concerns
about a mugo pine that seems to be pretty stressed.

At the May Columbus Bonsai Society meeting I participated in a Mini
Mugo pine workshop. With some expert help from some very experienced
folks I felt like it had a pretty good chance for survival. We didn't
take off more than about 10% of green, maybe two small twigs of
foliage, and pruned a few meaty roots but nothing crazy. We made sure
to work the soil in really well, wired it a little bit, nothing fancy,
seemed safe to me and looked like it had good potential.

I then put it under a bench for two weeks to recover as instructed,
the bench has half inch slots between boards so it still got a little
bit of sun. I then brought it out and it gets full sun. Now it seems
that the new candles that looked healthy before the workshop are
pretty white and crispy, and some of the mature needles have browned.
Is there any way to tell if I can save it or is it just toast? Any
advice?

The tree seemed like the candles were more developed than other stock
that we could pick from, was this my downfall? Did I pick one that was
too close to hardening off?

Or could I be over watering? We've have had a pretty hot and dry spell
for the last few weeks so I've been watching my trees closly and
watering when they need it. With temps in the 90s no rain for a more
than a week and all day sun I can't imagine that watering it well once
a day could hurt it...anyway does anyone have suggestions for saving
my new tree.
thanks a bunch,
Ethan
--
Ethan Smith, Columbus, Ohio
USDA Zone 6, Sunset 35 & 41

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Bart Thomas

While I don't know the answer to your present question,
there's a wealth of good info in this thread on another forum, started by
"Mr. Mugo Pine" himself, Vance Wood.

http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthread.php?t=9631

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Michael Persiano

Ethan:

It sounds like a root zone problem, and it could be root rot.

If the soil is not fast-draining, or it has been excessively watered, it could be irreversibly damaged. Do you know how to treat for root rot disease?

If not, contact me and I will send along a procedure.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

Old 08-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Carl Rosner

If you don't get you answer, you might contact Vance Wood: He is an expert on Mugo Pines...

Good luck, Carl L. Rosner

Ethan Smith wrote:
[...]

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Mugo Pine [email protected] Bonsai 4 19-04-2005 01:38 PM
[IBC] Mugo Pine Jerry Meislik Bonsai 19 02-10-2003 02:12 PM
[IBC] [Fwd: [IBC] Mugo Pine] Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 02-10-2003 01:22 AM
Mugo Pine Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 04-05-2003 05:20 AM
Mugo Pine Iris Cohen Bonsai 1 26-03-2003 07:33 PM