Old 18-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Bonsai from Aerial roots!

Hi Everybody

Has anyone ever tried making a Bonsai from the aerial roots of Ficus or those of some other species? I am doing! I am trying to make a Bonsai from the dangling aerial roots of Ficus infectoria. I cut a 15" long piece of the dangling aerial roots of Ficus infectoria and in late winters (early Feb.of 2003), and put it in the ground for rooting,. Six months later in August 2003 during the rainy season, it threw two sprouts near the upper cut. I let them grow for another couple of months and in February 2004 took it out of the ground and potted in a deep Bonsai pot. This year in March I repotted it after pruning the new roots. The plant is growing well and now it has three branches emanating from the upper cut. It is about 9" wide at the base tapering to about 3" at the top, and is about 13" high. I have posted it on the *Potensai Gallery* for advice and suggestions for further developing it.

Your suggestions are solicited.

Regards.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Aerial roots?? Claude Orchids 11 02-08-2004 11:23 PM
red tips of Phal aerial roots? J Fortuna Orchids 4 10-04-2004 12:03 PM
[IBC] techniques of aerial roots ficus Hung Le Bonsai 8 09-12-2003 06:42 PM
[IBC] more aerial roots on ficus Craig Cowing Bonsai 6 09-12-2003 01:42 PM
[IBC] aerial roots on ficus retusa Craig Cowing Bonsai 4 23-08-2003 11:02 PM