Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
J Fortuna

Default red tips of Phal aerial roots?

Today morning I noticed that one of my Phals has aerial roots with very red
tips. It must have had the very red tips before today, but I just had not
noticed. Does this mean anything? Do some Phals have red tips of aerial
roots and as long as the roots look healthy that's just the way it is? Or
does this mean anything about the level of humidity or light or anything at
all?

Just curious,
Joanna

Old 06-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Joanna,

FWIW, all the aerial roots on my Phals have reddish tips, and so do the
aerial roots on other Phals that I've seen. I think it's normal.

Diana

Old 07-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Kenni Judd

Some are red, some are green. It seems to be somewhat but not strictly
correlated to flower color [e.g., white phals tend to have green root tips,
lavenders tend to have the red]. Same thing happens with other orchids,
most noticeably vandaceous. Warning: birds tend to like the red ones,
apparently they resemble berries or some other bird-food source.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids
hlink.net...

Old 07-04-2004, 02:33 AM
J Fortuna

Diana, while I have seen many Phals with reddish root-tips, none of the
others I can remember were as red as this one. Of course all the ones I do
not remember may well have been equally red. :-)

Kenni, the flower color and root tip color might work here. While I have not
seen this plant bloom yet (it is a seedling that is not quite blooming
size), my understanding is that I should expect it to be pink or lavender or
reddish or something like that.
I kind of suspected that the root tip color was probably not related to
culture, but I figured I would ask, since these root tips are so brightly
red. Thanks for the warning, I will avoid letting any birds into my
apartment :-)

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 10-04-2004, 12:03 PM
RPM1

"J Fortuna"
Today morning I noticed that one of my Phals has aerial roots with very

red
tips. It must have had the very red tips before today, but I just had not
noticed. Does this mean anything? Do some Phals have red tips of aerial
roots and as long as the roots look healthy that's just the way it is? Or
does this mean anything about the level of humidity or light or anything

at
all?

I =just= took a peek at one of my trash rescues yesterday.
I have 9 at the moment. 10 if you count the Milt. Ron's
Rippling Delight in bloom which is no longer an unknown
orphan thanks to Reka. :-)

The leaves on this little Phal look great (no more ripples from
root rot). It was re-potted by the nursery (not the grower)
in very dense potting soil and it really suffered. It's even starting
a new little leaf! The root system was so pathetic when I put it
in hospital I wasn't expecting to see much more than the hollow
black stubs I left it with after I trimmed away the rot in January.
Curious, I gently removed the slightly damp moss to reveal a
plethora of new FAT roots with alarmingly red tips. I wasn't
ready to see what I saw, it almost scared me. I thought they
were worms or beetles. I nearly dropped the darn thing. This
is supposed to be a white phal IIRC from what the shop girl told
me. It looks like this little sweetie is a sure fire rescue success!
bliss I have a tag that might belong to it but I won't know
for sure until it blooms. With unknown rescues it's like Orchid
Christmas all year long. LOL I love surprises.

Ruth CM doing the trash rescue happy dance in upstate NY :-D

Question about Phal aerial roots..... sandra Orchids 2 30-03-2005 06:25 PM
Aerial roots?? Claude Orchids 11 02-08-2004 11:23 PM
[IBC] techniques of aerial roots ficus Hung Le Bonsai 8 09-12-2003 06:42 PM
[IBC] more aerial roots on ficus Craig Cowing Bonsai 6 09-12-2003 01:42 PM
[IBC] aerial roots on ficus retusa Craig Cowing Bonsai 4 23-08-2003 11:02 PM