Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Berti Ferranti

Default It's spring and I need sprouting advice :D

Hello NG,

I am very new to bonsai, in fact I haven't had a plant in the house for
quite years now. Round christmas I decided I might try my hands on a
bonsai tree or two. As I am with things, I always start from the ground
up. Thus, I'm starting from the seed. About 4 weeks ago I have sown out
ficus religiosa and pomegranate. According to the guide that came with
the seeds, all I needed to do was sand the pomegranate seeds a bit and
then put both in a pot without burying them. I have watered them
properly since, and they are spending quality time in the sun, covered
with clingwrap to produce a sort of greenhouse effect. So far so good
(except maybe, that in the process of watering, most seeds have been
covered by earth - I hope this doesen't harm them?).

Now it did say 6-8 weeks for the pomegranate and a little longer for the
ficus. But still I was wondering whether something should be happening
about now? On the one pomegranate seed I can still see, I can see no
evidence of shoots whatsoever. Did I screw up or am I just too impatient?

cheers
Berti