Old 22-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] It's spring and I need sprouting advice :D

I have used 1 qt glass jars over cuttings and I woudl
thing that sprouting seeds under cling wrap would have
a sililar effect, but after many successful attemts, I
did have one mini greenhouse get a fungus and
everything died.

As to patience. Many come to bonsai later in life.
For us seed growing bonsai is not viable. I hope you
are about 20 years old and can see this project
through.

kits

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Carl Rosner

To all:
I have never tried this method, but I read where you take a large soda bottle and cut around the black bottom, and plant your seeds in sand. Then place the rest of the bottle on top. Tape it in several places. Leaving the top open helps change the air, but still works like a mini green house...

It sounds plausible.... But, as I said, I haven't tried it.

Carl

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

Old 23-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Don Walker

Respectfully, I'd like to disagree.

I've heard many people say the journey is the prize, they seek the peace
and joy of working with nature. You are all presuming that Berti's
primary motivation is to show Bonsai at the monthly club meeting or to
complete the "project".

While I take no issue with those who find value in these pursuits, their
reasons are not mine. I fully expect those trees I don't kill to
outlive my association with them. I hope someone else will choose to
care for them when we part company.

If at 85 I choose to plant a few acorns I won't be worrying about seeing
them become great Bonsai but will instead be thinking about the great
oaks I've seen and will smile when I see them poking their heads up from
the dirt.

-Don
1+ years experience in bonsai.

Old 23-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Pauline Muth

this method does work IF you keep it out of direct sun and thus turn it into
an oven
Did it with my school classes for years.
Pauline

I have never tried this method, but I read where you take a large soda
bottle and cut around the black bottom, and plant your seeds in sand. Then
place the rest of the bottle on top. Tape it in several places. Leaving
the top open helps change the air, but still works like a mini green
house...

It sounds plausible.... But, as I said, I haven't tried it.

Carl

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Kitsune Miko

You presume as much as you feel I am presuming that I
know Berti's motives as you feel you must know mine.
He said he wanted to start bonsai from seed. My
intrpretation of that is that he wants a bonsai tree.
He also seems to want the journey of getting there
from seed. As said earlier by another, he may want to
get another plant while his seeds mature enough to
become bonsai if what he wants is a bonsai. So we
don't actually know what he wants besides asking how
long he has to wait for the seeds to sprout, a
possible indication of impatience on his part. My
comment was only intended to indicate passage of time.

I have over 300 bonsai in and out of pots. That is
not counting the 50 or so various cuttings I have to
repot next week or last year's cuttings. I do know
the joy of the journey. The care of my trees is
provided for in my will. They will continue.

Respectfully,

Kitsune Miko

--- Don Walker wrote:
[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund
Castillo++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****

Old 23-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Anil Kaushik

Seed germination needs right temperature and HUMIDITY for which one has to wait
for the right season. However since those conditions can be created
artificially, there are many ways of doing that. I have successfully grown
scores of CACTI and other SUCCULENT plants by enclosing the entire pot of seeds
in a clean transparent polybag! At the beginning of the winter (here it is mid
November) I sterilise the clay pot and the porous medium in an oven! Once it
cools down, I sprinkle the seeds on the medium and immerse it in water mixed
with some Bavistan ( a fungicide). Once it is drenched, I put it overnight to
drain excess water. Next morning I ENCLOSE the pot in a clean transparent
polybag and put it in the bright light (NOT in full Sun). Within less than a
week the seeds germinate. After about three months I open the bag and spray the
plantlets daily. Another couple of days I remove the bag and keep it in the
filtered sunlight gradually exposing these to more sunlight.

I cannot say whether this method will work for trees and shrubs used for making
Bonsai, in the temperate climate of the West. But it will be worth giving it a
try.

Regards to all.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Old 23-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Berti Ferranti

Kitsune Miko schrieb:
I have used 1 qt glass jars over cuttings and I woudl
thing that sprouting seeds under cling wrap would have
a sililar effect, but after many successful attemts, I
did have one mini greenhouse get a fungus and
everything died.

I'll be watching them closely, however they are not sealed off anyway.
There's plenty of ventilation.

As to patience. Many come to bonsai later in life.
For us seed growing bonsai is not viable. I hope you
are about 20 years old and can see this project
through.

I can and I will.

kits

Berti
Old 23-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Berti Ferranti

Don Walker schrieb:
Respectfully, I'd like to disagree.

I've heard many people say the journey is the prize, they seek the peace
and joy of working with nature. You are all presuming that Berti's
primary motivation is to show Bonsai at the monthly club meeting or to
complete the "project".

While I take no issue with those who find value in these pursuits, their
reasons are not mine. I fully expect those trees I don't kill to
outlive my association with them. I hope someone else will choose to
care for them when we part company.

If at 85 I choose to plant a few acorns I won't be worrying about seeing
them become great Bonsai but will instead be thinking about the great
oaks I've seen and will smile when I see them poking their heads up from
the dirt.

-Don
1+ years experience in bonsai.

Indeed, just to clarify this, I do not require a bonsai right away. If I
did, I could have bought one as-is. My primary goal is to grow a bonsai.
I do not care much for displaying it until it is presentable, if at all.

Although this is - as may have become apparent - my first project in
that direction, I do have enough experience with plants in general and
bonsai specifically to not underestimate the time it takes to grow an
adult tree of miniature proportions.

Anyone can buy a bonsai, some species will almost care for themselves.
But, I ask you, is that the true spirit of bonsai? Owning the tree? For
me it is not. If asked, I want to be able to reply "This one I grew
myself" not "You can get them at a discount 10 Bucks right across the
street from where I work. I water them myself."

Berti

Old 23-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 4/23/2005 3:52:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Anyone can buy a bonsai, some species will almost care for themselves.
But, I ask you, is that the true spirit of bonsai? Owning the tree? For
me it is not. If asked, I want to be able to reply "This one I grew
myself" not

"You can get them at a discount 10 Bucks right across the street from
where I work. I water them myself."

These we call Mallsai. You can't buy a decent Bonsai pot for $10.

We should all live our lives as we see fit (within reason and the
rules of society) so if growing Bonsai from seed is how you wish to approach,
great.

But, for me Bonsai is about caring for the tree. This is a lot more
than watering. It involves all of the horticultural skills as well as some art.
I can go to a nursery in Vero Beach, Florida and buy a Bonsai that has been in
training for many years. The day I buy it it will be a stunning tree. But,
after a year of "just watering" it will be a nice tree that needs attention
(pruning, maybe repotting, etc.), After two years it will not be stunning anymore.

I have been doing Bonsai for some time and have a few trees grown from
seed (pomegranates for example) but I can't think of any in a Bonsai pot. I
do have some decent Chinese Elms, Boxwoods and F. saclisifolia that I started
as cuttings.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Old 23-04-2005, 09:41 AM
marco favero

At 09.31 23/04/2005, Berti Ferranti wrote:

Indeed, just to clarify this, I do not require a bonsai right away. If I
did, I could have bought one as-is. My primary goal is to grow a bonsai.
I do not care much for displaying it until it is presentable, if at all.
Berti

Hi Berti ,

just a consideration :you will grow for now a plant ,not bonsai .To become
a bonsai
you will grow with the plant and when you two will have some right criteria
,then you will
consider it like a bonsai and it is a long trip if you begin from seeds
(but this is your choice).
Good luck ,

marco

Old 23-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Henrik Gistvall

I will post a pic on the IBC gallery of my Pomegranate grown from seed 7
years ago. I show it as a detterent. I did everything wrong with this
plant. I was grown in a small pot all the time and when the
sacrificebranches died back after a frost, I started pruning for better
ramification insted of growing more sarifice branches. By the time it
was exposed to frost I was tired of it and didnīt care for a better
trunk. And of course Sweden is not the best place for pomegranates
either. All and all it has been a total waste of time, but i I have
grown emotionally attached to it so I gave it pot this spring and I just
canīt get rid of it, now it just takes space, the only good thing is
that itīs small ;-).

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Old 23-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Steven Wachs

starting from seeds is really stretching it. Being you are just starting
BONSAI get a book on BONSAI. Learn about style and pruning. then buy some
inexpensive plants and prune away. starting with a good size plant will get you
success sooner than some seeds which take years to grow into a suitable size
BONSAI. Pomegranits which is the same as Chinese Apples are sold in fruit
stores. Those seeds take about a week to sprout.. I never tried Ficus from seeds.
SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 23-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Steven Wachs

I planted Pomegranite seeds 2 weeks ago. they took a week to sprout. i
didn't do anything more than throw some seeds in a large pot with potting mix.

SteveW
Long island NY

Old 23-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Lee Braiden

On Saturday 23 April 2005 13:36, Steven Wachs wrote:
starting from seeds is really stretching it. Being you are just starting
BONSAI get a book on BONSAI. Learn about style and pruning. then buy some
inexpensive plants and prune away. starting with a good size plant will
get you success sooner than some seeds which take years to grow into a
suitable size BONSAI. Pomegranits which is the same as Chinese Apples are
sold in fruit stores. Those seeds take about a week to sprout.. I never
tried Ficus from seeds. SteveW

Sheesh. It seems to me that he can start however he likes. Back when I was a
kid, my grandfather and I planted a little seed in the ground. I never even
thought about it for years, but one day I suddenly realised that the huge
tree outside their window was the one we planted together so long ago.

I've also sprouted a few trees from seed without even trying, and now I have a
number of seed trays sown out. If it doesn't work, so be it. Then, I'll
keep tending my fully grown bonsai, and plant more seeds. But if it does,
it'll be a pleasure to watch and help it grow, and every failure will lead to
more appreciation of my successes.

There's a lot to be said for starting from seed, and if people think they have
the time and patience for it, there's no reason to tell them any different.
Sure, they could buy a pre-grown tree in the meantime, and that might be good
advice to give, but telling people not to grow from seed seems quite
different to me. It's not *about* shaping branches for some of us, even if
that is a large part of the final art.

--
Lee.

Old 23-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Jim Lewis

Lee Braiden wrote:

There's a lot to be said for starting from seed, and if people think they have
the time and patience for it, there's no reason to tell them any different.
Sure, they could buy a pre-grown tree in the meantime, and that might be good
advice to give, but telling people not to grow from seed seems quite
different to me. It's not *about* shaping branches for some of us, even if
that is a large part of the final art.

So. Can we leave this topic, keeping this good advice and philosophy in
mind?

Jim Lewis - - Hit THINK before you hit SEND