Old 01-05-2005, 01:05 PM

Default [IBC] Fertilizing & Watering

In a message dated 5/1/05 12:05:47 AM, Vinny writes:
There seems to be some conflicting ideas about how much fertilizer to use
during application (full strength or diluted) and how often to apply the
solution.* I was wondering what the consensus was on this topic.* I live on Long
Island in New York, where it is also raining almost every other day.* I was
wondering how others handled this type of weather to prevent root rot and other
problems from developing.

There is no consensus.
Read Brent Walston's excellent article on fertilizing.
http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com
However, there is one interesting aspect of fertilizing. Brent swears that
all the nursery growers in California (where it doesn't rain so often) fertilize
full strength every two weeks and this works fine for bonsai. When I first
moved to central NY 40 years ago & grew African violets, the experts told me to
feed weekly weakly (half strength). I followed this for some years, but now
that I grow orchids & +

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++