Old 29-08-2004, 01:03 AM
V_coerulea

Default Watering and fertilizing

Hose end mixers do have their limitations. Their accuracy depends on how
clean you can keep the opening and on how steady the pressure is. If you get
tired of the watering can method, then mix up a batch of fertilizer of
whatever strength you want in a 30 or 50 gal plastic tub (Lowe's or HD),
drop in a 1/4 to 1/3 hp sump pump, connect your hose, and you're done in
minutes. I have 650 different species, crosses and grex with probably close
to 3500 plants. A couple of fills of the 50 gal tub and we're all done. You
do have to get a good pattern down to avoid wasting too much and to cut down
the time. You can't beat it for efficiency of time. And it's inexpensive to
boot.
Gary

"tbell" wrote in message
I'm getting kind of tired of filling and refilling my 1 gallon jug with
fertilizer solution, but I remember reading some reservations about

hose-end
mixers. I fertilize 1/2 strength every other week and flush with water the
other times, which seems to work for the roughly 75 plants in my little

GH.
Any suggestions?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Old 29-08-2004, 03:25 AM
Wendy

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:25:34 -0700, Wendy wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:51:32 -0700, tbell wrote:

I'm getting kind of tired of filling and refilling my 1 gallon jug with
fertilizer solution, but I remember reading some reservations about hose-end
mixers. I fertilize 1/2 strength every other week and flush with water the
other times, which seems to work for the roughly 75 plants in my little GH.
Any suggestions?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Tom, I use 'Syphonject' which works well with less than 50' of hose.
It has a 16:1 ratio & I bought mine at Home Depot for $11.00
It is brass with a rubber tube. I use the large water bottle from
Sparklets.Just found a plastic one that I am going to try in another area.
$9.00
I have a 35gal barrel in my g/h & premix the fert then it pumps out with
an electric pump.
Cheers Wendy

Tom, the plastic syphon's brand name is "Grow More Syphon Mixer"
Old 29-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Ray

I hate to rain on Diana's parade, but the EZ-FLo is probably to be avoided.

The EZ-Flo metering device works by diverting a small amount of water from
the main line (your hose) into a tank containing concentrated fertilizer.
Then that same volume of SATURATED solution gets injected back in the line,
so you get mixing in the hose. The dosing rate is controlled by the volume
of the diverted water/solution.

The problem is that the device was designed for use with (their own brand
of) powdered fertilizer, and once all of the powder has dissolved, the
liquid in the tank is no longer saturated, so the mix ratio coming out of
the end of the hose gets more-and-more dilute. If you use a liquid
fertilizer in it, which by definition is at- or below saturation to start
with, that changing mix ratio occurs right from the start.

My guess as to Diana's and Frank's success with it is that if probably
relates to the vandas getting more overall nutrition, due to the ease of
use.

..
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
nk.net...

"tbell" wrote in message
I'm getting kind of tired of filling and refilling my 1 gallon jug with
fertilizer solution, but I remember reading some reservations about

hose-end
mixers. I fertilize 1/2 strength every other week and flush with water

the
other times, which seems to work for the roughly 75 plants in my little

GH.
Any suggestions?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Hi, Tom,

Frank put in a watering system earlier this year, especially for the

Vandas.
Since they grow around the pool, he didn't want the fertilizer to go

through
that system (the spray inevitably hits the pool). We also have a wand
hooked up to the water source.

We bought an E-Z Flow in-line bottle (very inexpensive) from Morton

Products
on line. Now, he fertilizes the Vandas using the wand, with the E-Z Flow
turned on. Piece of cake. I don't have the URL off hand, but it's easy

find.

We haven't measured the output as some no doubt have, but I can tell you
that the Vandas are in pig's heaven, and are blooming more frequently than
ever before, so I can assume they are getting what they need. In the main
grow area we still water with a hose, even though the watering apparatus

is
out there. So, there we use an ordinary hose end bottle. Results are

good,
and everyone is happy.

HTH

Diana

Old 29-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Ray

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of good choices out there. I was going to
start carrying the EZ-Gro devices on my website after talking to the
manufacturer, but after a little more research and questioning, they came
through with the truth about the operations.

I have heard that the top-of-the-line Ortho hose-end sprayers are pretty
good, but be sure to get the kind that siphons out of the concentrate tank
and does not squirt water into it as a way to get the contents out, as
that's the same as the EZ-Gro device.

The Siphonex devices are pretty good of the flow through the hose is
relatively unrestricted.

..
"Doug" wrote in message
So what would you recommend as a fertilizer mixing solution for a hose

attached
to a faucet?

Doug Bolton

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:34:30 -0400, "Ray"

Old 29-08-2004, 08:41 PM
tbell

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:32:46 -0700, Diana Kulaga wrote
(in article et):

Hi, Tom,

Frank put in a watering system earlier this year, especially for the Vandas.
Since they grow around the pool, he didn't want the fertilizer to go through
that system (the spray inevitably hits the pool). We also have a wand
hooked up to the water source.

We bought an E-Z Flow in-line bottle (very inexpensive) from Morton Products
on line. Now, he fertilizes the Vandas using the wand, with the E-Z Flow
turned on. Piece of cake. I don't have the URL off hand, but it's easy to
find.

We haven't measured the output as some no doubt have, but I can tell you
that the Vandas are in pig's heaven, and are blooming more frequently than
ever before, so I can assume they are getting what they need. In the main
grow area we still water with a hose, even though the watering apparatus is
out there. So, there we use an ordinary hose end bottle. Results are good,
and everyone is happy.

Diana

Thanks, luv.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Old 29-08-2004, 08:45 PM
tbell

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:25:34 -0700, Wendy wrote
(in article ):

Tom, I use 'Syphonject' which works well with less than 50' of hose.
It has a 16:1 ratio & I bought mine at Home Depot for $11.00
It is brass with a rubber tube. I use the large water bottle from
Sparklets.Just found a plastic one that I am going to try in another area.
$9.00
I have a 35gal barrel in my g/h & premix the fert then it pumps out with
an electric pump.
Cheers Wendy

Thanks, Wendy. I'll look into those.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Old 29-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Dustin

I tried to use one of the Hozon ones and I couldnt get it to work on a
25 foot hose unless I took off any kind of watering wand and just used
the straight hose stream.
I tried to use my ortho dial and spray but stopped when I noticed that
many of my plants seemed to be getting burns from fertilizer. I finally
went back to using my pump sprayer. When I move and build a real
greenhouse I plan on using a dosatron or something like it.

Dustin

Old 29-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Diana Kulaga

My guess as to Diana's and Frank's success with it is that if probably
relates to the vandas getting more overall nutrition, due to the ease of
use.

Ray,

No question that it's easier, but we are on the same schedule as before. I
believe that the ease of use does contribute to more fertilizer ending up
where it belongs, and I have no doubt that you're right about E-Z Flow's
limitations, but for us smaller growers (especially growing outside) the
choices are somewhat limited, and what works we stay with. S

Diana

Old 29-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks, luv.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon CP 5700

Welcome, Tom. Be mindful of Ray's response, though.

Diana

Old 29-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Ray

There's no arguing with success!

Honestly, if the folks at EZ-Gro would put a bladder in their tank so the
"propellant" water and the concentrate didn't mix, they would have a serious
winner.

..
ink.net...

Old 30-08-2004, 04:58 AM
orchids3

Wendy wrote in message .. .
[...]

Want give a bid DITTO to Wendys post. I use a 55 gal barrel with a
submersible pump. I mix my fertilizer to exactly the correct EC and pH
and pump it onto the plants. Every plant gets exactly what I want with
no variation. No more watering half of my plants and finding that the
siphon mixer clogged just after the first plant or backflowed and put
water and fertilizer all over the
floor. 55 gallons will do my whole collection 4 times (Have a 20 by 40
greenhouse and 600 cymbidiums outside.