Old 07-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Weather Patterns

By now everyone in the world probably knows that in late summer and early
fall of 2004 much of Florida was hit by three major hurricanes. (some areas were
brushed by a total of four, but I don't think anyone got the full effect of
all four).

This is unprecedented.

This spring we have been wetter and cooler than average. This morning, May
7, 2005, we had temperatures near 50 degrees F.

This also usually our dry season, but we have had more rain than average.

I am not one of the "global warming," "melting icecap" guys.

BUT, I do wonder what all this means for our Bonsai.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Jim Lewis

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
By now everyone in the world probably knows that in late summer and early
fall of 2004 much of Florida was hit by three major hurricanes. (some areas were
brushed by a total of four, but I don't think anyone got the full effect of
all four).

This is unprecedented.

"They" predict just as severe a hurricane season this year. Of course,
that doesn't mean they'll all hit Florida, but we do dangle down into
the Hurricane belt like a diseased appendix.

This spring we have been wetter and cooler than average. This morning, May
7, 2005, we had temperatures near 50 degrees F.
This also usually our dry season, but we have had more rain than average.

We (N. Fla./ Tallahassee) are right AT average now -- for the first time
in 7-8 years of dry weather (which says something about "averages.") MY
trees are enjoying the cooler-than-normal (just) temperatures.

I am not one of the "global warming," "melting icecap" guys.
BUT, I do wonder what all this means for our Bonsai.

You prolly should be. The *only* "scientists" that don't agree that
climate change (a MUCH more accurate term) isn't real are those who do
"research" (shill) for the oil, gas, electric power, and auto industries.

And it's not melting icecaps that'll be the problem.

Our bonsai will adapt better than natural forests and natural ecosystems
will, since roads and development (especially along the coastlines)
completely block any possibility of these ecosystems moving to more
suitable climes in any real-time sense. *We* already adapt our trees to
100% artificial conditions, and they survive only because we give them
TLC. There's no one doing enough of that for natural systems.

Here's a pretty balanced look.
http://www4.nas.edu/onpi/webextra.ns...e?OpenDocument

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People, when
Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts and berries.
And I'm right here to tell you (that) the berries are just about all
gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++