Old 04-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Question on flowering patterns and plant sizes

I have an epidendrum that I have had a long time. It grows well, and
is now quite large.

The last six months, the flowering pattern has changed. It spent four
months or so growing and resting beteen flowerings before.

It just dropped its flowers. Not there is a new cane coming nicely
along. It should flower before december or so. It also puts out a
keiki every time a new cane starts to flower.

Is this more or less continuous flowering something I can expect from
other orchids as well? Does it hurt the plant not getting a chance to
rest?

Geir

Old 04-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Kenni Judd

Geir: Many orchids will bloom more often, with more and larger flowers, as
they mature, if you refrain from dividing them [more new growths to flower,
more old pbs for the flowers to draw energy from]. As just one example,
Den. Uniwai Prince in a 4" pot will generally bloom 2-3x/year for me. My
overgrown 10" pot of it stays in bloom about 11 months out of the year,
usually on 4-6 spikes at a time.

As for harm from lack of rest, my own philosophy is to let the plant tell
me -- if it starts to look stressed, remove the flowers and put them in
water or something; otherwise, let it do its "thing."

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids