Old 10-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Steve wachs

Default [IBC] growing bonsai seeds

I try to propagate Japanese Maples from seeds every year. It is difficult to
predict when seeds will germinate. I have left seeds in a cold greenhouse
for 2 years before they germinated. Silver Maple and Red Maple on the other
hand germinate without any stratification.

SteveW
Long Island NY

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Steve wachs

I think it's like what was just mentioned. I collect Japanese maple
(Palmatum) seeds in late spring and fall. I plant them right away. I just leave them
in a greenhouse that gets cold in the winter. I had immediate growth from
Japanese maple seeds once . most of the time they took their time germinating.
I actually found Dissectum seeds propagate after one winter. I never had
success indoors with them at all.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Steve wachs

I think it's like what was just mentioned. I collect Japanese maple
(Palmatum) seeds in late spring and fall. I plant them right away. I just leave them
in a greenhouse that gets cold in the winter. I had immediate growth from
Japanese maple seeds once . most of the time they took their time germinating.
I actually found Dissectum seeds propagate after one winter. I never had
success indoors with them at all.
I usually get rubrum and silver maples to germinate very quickly.