Old 12-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm update !

I followed your advice and after only 4 days many new
shoots have appeared on the trunk. I will post a pic
soon!

thank you all
Dimitris

http://mail.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Dimitrios Kalderis wrote:
I followed your advice and after only 4 days many new
shoots have appeared on the trunk. I will post a pic
soon!

thank you all

Our advice probably didn't sprout in 4 days, but we're all
glad it's sprouting. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Michael Persiano

Dimitrios:

You will need to have patience with this tree. My recommendation is based on nearly two decades of experience with this species:

1. DO NOT retain unwanted buds, especially those appearing in groups at undesirable locations on the tree. To make the right decision on bud selection, you will need to have a vision for the tree.
2. So . . . sketch out the future design, i.e., what you would like the Elm to look like 10-15 years in the future.
3. Understand the mechanics of branch development: desirable branch diameters can be rapidly developed by allowing the branch to grow without restraint. Once the diameter is appropriate, cut back on the branch (during the growing season).
4. Fuel the growth of the tree through a feeding regime, i.e., Superfeeding or any other feeding program that systematically support aggressive growth.
5. Repot the tree every 2 years: this will stimulate the tree to push buds in areas that might otherwise remain dormant.

These are only a few recommendations. Elms can offer the practitioners a magnificent bonsai illusion. The time devoted to the species will yield immeasurable reward.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob