Old 13-05-2005, 12:34 AM
AGrid

Default Japanese purple Maple forest?

Hi fellow Bonsai growers.
I have just brought 7 Japanese purple Maple trees and want to put them in a
pot and create a forest look.
I live in south australia and they are coming in to dormant time now,and
have not put them in pot yet.(presently in 6 inch put each)
My questions a What size pot can I put them in to get the affect.?
When is the best time to pot them?(early spring?)
I am only new to bonsai and trying to get all the info so I don't kill them.
Thank you to everyone in advance
Grid.

Old 13-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Jim Lewis

AGrid wrote:
Hi fellow Bonsai growers.
I have just brought 7 Japanese purple Maple trees and want to put them in a
pot and create a forest look.
I live in south australia and they are coming in to dormant time now,and
have not put them in pot yet.(presently in 6 inch put each)
My questions a What size pot can I put them in to get the affect.?
When is the best time to pot them?(early spring?)
I am only new to bonsai and trying to get all the info so I don't kill them.
Thank you to everyone in advance
Grid.

Whoa! Slow down. You have lots of time, so spend some of
it on learning before you leap. I'm sure you don't want to
kill those maples.

Dunno where you are in Australia, but there are a good
number of bonsaiests there and several bonsai clubs. Find
one and join.

It's going to be next to impossible to design a forest bonsi
via e-mail, but real help from folks who live where you are
may not be too far away.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature
Old 13-05-2005, 05:56 AM
MartyWeiser

Jim is correct about slowing down and getting help from a fellow Bonsaist if
possible. In case you can't get the help here are a few suggestions.
- Spring as the buds are just opening is the best time to construct the
forest. I like to have a few leaves starting to show since it proves they
are growing to me.
- A. palmatum will take a great deal of root pruning. Placing the trunks 2"
apart will be fairly easy - 1" will require either some very careful fitting
or very good aftercare due to extreme root pruning. Make sure you can keep
them from frosting after a major root pruning.
- A seven tree A. plamatum forest could go into a pot that is anywhere from
about 7" long to perhaps 15-20" depending upon the size of the trees. For
typical 6" pot material that will range from 1/8" to perhaps 1/2" diameter I
would think an oval 12" long, 8" wide, and 1.5" deep would work well
(shallower once you have more experience). You might consider planting into
a box of similar dimensions first to get it established.
- Design is tough via e-mail, but here are a couple of initial comments -
with experience nearly all of them can be ignored. Make the forest
asymmetric. Have a major tree and perhaps a secondary tree - the other just
fill in. The major tree should be off center and towards the front, the
secondary tree should be on the opposite side (not the same distance from
the centerline of the pot) and further back. The minor trees around the
edges and the back are important - particularly the back. Don't break 7
into two groups since the breaks are awkward.
- Arrange the trees on the bench this fall and see how they fit together.
Then rearrange. Visually cut some of them back to make them shorter (use
tape or similar to mark the cuts if you need to).
- Figure on cutting off over 50% of the total tree height and branches when
you assemble the forest. I cut off over 80% when I did a 15 - 20 tree
forest this spring for a club demo. It is in a box and will go into a pot
in 2 - 4 years. I had some of the seedlings for this in boxes for about 6
years - a few of the fill trees sprouted last year.

Marty

[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Jim Lewis

I wrote:

It's going to be next to impossible to design a forest
bonsai via e-mail, but real help from folks who live

Then MartyWeiser proved me wrong and wrote:

[...]

Good advice, all of it, but as a newcomer to bonsai, please
at *least* read a few books that describe the how-to of root
pruning before you try. Putting this many trees into a
shallow pot *will* require a good deal of root to be removed
and it would be too bad to butcher a couple of them.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Red Maple / Silver Maple What's the Difference? [email protected] Gardening 5 19-06-2005 10:28 AM
Japanese Purple Maple AGrid Bonsai 1 15-05-2005 04:06 AM
[IBC] Japanese purple Maple forest? Steven Wachs Bonsai 0 13-05-2005 03:54 PM
old growth maple-basswood forest? Bill Johnston Plant Science 0 20-08-2003 04:32 AM
How tall is Osakazuki - Japanese Maple Andrew Tan Gardening 4 25-02-2003 01:27 PM