Old 09-06-2005, 12:34 PM

Default [IBC] Bees

In a message dated 6/9/05 12:04:17 AM, Jim writes:
Since the virus has wiped out ALL hiving honeybees in this area,

I thought it was a mite. Is there a virus also?

large (almost thumbnail size) fuzzy, black and yellow solitary bees.* You
have to close your hand around them to get them to sting you.

Not bumblebees? We also have bumblebees, which is what yours sound like. They
sting if you step on their nest barefoot. Bumblebees nest in the ground.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Jim Lewis

In a message dated 6/9/05 12:04:17 AM, Jim writes:

Since the virus has wiped out ALL hiving honeybees in this area,

I thought it was a mite. Is there a virus also?

No. You're right. My faulty memory.

large (almost thumbnail size) fuzzy, black and yellow solitary bees. You
have to close your hand around them to get them to sting you.

Not bumblebees? We also have bumblebees, which is what yours sound like. They
sting if you step on their nest barefoot. Bumblebees nest in the ground.
Iris

May be some kind of bumblebee. There are 3500 species of
native bees in N. America. This is smaller than the
"bummerbee" I grew up with, and there are more of them. And
you have to get these REALLY, REALLY mad for them to sting.

And then there are the wood bees that are chewing up the
soffits around my roof (or the Pileated woodpeckers that
REALLY chop them up when hunting for the bee larvae).
They're 3X as large as the bees in my Nandina. I'd be happy
for some mite to take a liking for them.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Only
where people have learned to appreciate and cherish the
landscape and its living cover will they treat it with the
care and respect it should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++